Giving up

Her outburst echoed through the ensuing silence, surprising both of them.

Neither of them said anything, the words stunned out of both of them.

"Fine then." Came the hoarse whisper.
"Fine then." Much stronger now.
He took a step backwards, holding up his hands.
"I give up. I give up! From now on, what happens, happens. I tried, I really did, but now I'm letting the chips just fall where they may."

Nyx gave him a both very confused and quite worried look. "... Okay, uh... Don't... God, I'm confused. I'm just going to..."

She gestured towards the door timidly, before turning and walking towards the tunnel entrance.
He stopped her at the opening, grasping her shoulder and turning her to face him.

"Oh, you're confused? You're confused? I was dead!" He gestured to himself with a long arm sweep. "This is because of you.
You might not have chosen to, but you did.
You can't deny it."

"I just... I can't... I'm not doing this."

"Why not? Why can't you help me? Why won't you? Do you think I can't be helped, is that it? Is that what you think?"

"No, honestly, I think that's what you think. But I'm done here. I really am."

And swiftly, she turned heel and walked out, arms hugging her body, curls falling messily over her face, leaving him behind.

She was shaking slightly, shock settling in as her eyes dampened slightly.
She felt like throwing up, her breath shallow.

She couldn't decide how she felt. Confused? yes.
Shocked? definitely.
Guilty? Unfortunately, there was naturally going to be an element of that.
Relieved? She couldn't help it, part of her was glad about this.
Angry? Strangely not.

She blew out a long, calming breath, eyes closed.
The closest she could relate to this almost giddy feeling was that bit after a really good cry when one gets up, a few stray tears still spilling over, washes their face and the world feels strange around them.
It still feels awful, but it also feels sort of good.
Like now that's all out of the way, you realise you now have a chance to make it better.

This feeling lasted for all of twenty glorious seconds, before someone ruined it.

"Hey, Babydoll. You did good. You alright now?"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, ALYSHA!"

Okay, so maybe there was some anger.

Sorry I didn't post this weekend, a mix of a chronic cold and writers block got in the way.