Voice on the phone

Evelyn hit the gate in anger.

The sun was up. The night was gone.

And both Travis and Nick were missing.

The guilt and the terror were unbearable.

Finally, she made the only choice available, and hoped beyond hope it wouldn't make things worse. She hung up on Nick, and dialled Travis.

The phone was answered within three rings.
Evelyn breathed a sigh of relief, and then burst forwards in a volley of speech and questions, barely leaving room to breath.

"Travis! Are you okay? Where are you? Have you got the bolt cutters? No, wait, are you okay?"

A curt, female voice answered, making her jump. "He is otherwise engaged. Sorry for the inconvenience." It snarled nastily.

"What have you done to him, you bitch?" Evelyn bit back, not entirely sure who she was talking to, but knowing she was a threat.

"Nothing much, he's just helping me with some things." The voice replied, purring almost playfully.
It pissed Evelyn off further, somehow, than if she'd been shouting.

"Yes, well, this is a life or death situation, not that you probably give a shit, you bitch. Someone's life depends on him getting back safely, so whatever pathetic vendetta you have..."

"Well, you haven't changed in the slightest, have you, Evelyn?" The voice was mock-exasperated, and... Very familiar.

But not familiar enough.

"Look, whoever you are, I don't give two fucks. Just return the boy now, or I'll..."

"Better than that, how about I fix his head injury first, then provide means to break into your mansion?"

Evelyn was speechless. "How'd you know we needed to... Wait, head injury?"

The girl chuckled down the phone. "I'll take that as a yes. See you in roughly... Thirty or so minutes? I assume you're at your place."

And with that, unmistakable dred lined Evelyn's stomach.

Thoughts?