Resignation

Finally! Evelyn was back in her lab, a feat they'd been attempting all night.

Unfortunately, Nick was not in the lab.

Which meant he was most likely in the house.
Which meant they'd have to go look for him.
Which meant they'd have to leave the lab.
Which meant they had to use up more of their precious time.
Which put Rachel's life at risk.

It was times like this that Evelyn had the childish wish that she could multiply herself.

Of course, Emilia had an idea.
"I'll go look for him."

"No."

"Why not? Come on, I'm not going to harm him. You need to work on... whatever it is that you need to work on, and let's face it, I've probably got the best chance of surviving in that place. Not that you couldn't hold your own, you've just been out of action for twenty or so years."

Emilia smiled like an angel, oh so innocent, but it was her eyes Evelyn didn't trust.
"I don't..."

"Oh come on! I'm not going to harm him without reason, and it'll halve the time! Come on, I'm offering to do you a favour!"

"And let me guess, then I owe you a 'favour'."

Emilia snorted. "Jeez, Evelyn. You've been hanging out with faeries way to long. No, I'm just going to hang around until fate leads me where I need to be."

"Fate being Travis, I guess?"

"Or you. Depends who visits Selene first. So, I'll go find this missing vampire, and you'll play mad science, then we meet up. And I'll even leave faery boy here. Or rather, in that corner there."

Evelyn sighed. There was no choice. At least it would get Emilia out of her way for a while.

"Fine." Evelyn said resignedly, drawing a sample of Rachel's blood from her pocket and placing it under the microscope.