Fickle child

The kid set the box on a nearby table, scooting up to sit next to it so he as now roughly at eye height to Nick. Turning the box so that when he opened it, the contents would be hidden from Nick, he pulled off the elastic band that sealed the box closed.
Then, he opened it just a crack, taking every precaution not to let Nick see, and slipped his hand in, rummaging.
From the sound of his searching, there was more than one item inside.

Nick looked frustrated. "Are you going to return my phone or not? Because you said you would, and if you put it off any longer, I'll set fire to your bleeding box!"

"Okay, okay, alright!" Chastised the boy, still rummaging through the box. "Just checking everything is here!"

Finally, satisfied everything was, he removed his hand and reached into his trouser pocket, pulling out Nick's phone and unceremoniously chucking it at him.

Nick snatched it, then looked at the boy. "And the acid."

That followed a second later, and Nick nearly missed it, catching it seconds before it hit the floor.

Scowling at the boy, he pressed the button to turn his phone on.

Nothing.

He pressed it harder, praying this wasn't happening.

Nope. The screen was still black.

"It's flat!" Nick groaned. Then noticed something. "Hang on... It's not flat..." He said, removing the back. His suspicions were confirmed. He gave the kid an unimpressed look. "Alright, what did you do with the battery?"

The kid laughed. "Do you mean this?"

He drew the battery out of his other pocket, grinning wickedly, way to pleased with himself.

Nick decided he really hated children.

"Yes. I mean that." He ground through gritted teeth. "Come on, give it to me."

The boy scoffed. "I'm not going to just give it to you. But... You can play me for it, if you like."

Nick raised an eyebrow. "Play you for it?"

"Uh huh." The kid reached back into his box, and drew out a beautifully ornate pack of cards, eyes twinkling mischievously.

Nick groaned. "You've got to be kidding." He muttered to the universe in general.