Exasperation

Evelyn glared angrily at the blood sample under the microscope.
"Not working! Nothings working! It's immune to just about everything I throw at it!"

Travis fidgeted nervously, pacing. "No way I can help?"

"No." Groaned Evelyn frustratedly, then he eyes lit up with a revelation. "Wait, yes. Can I borrow some of your blood?"

Travis eyed her warily. "I suppose..."

"Thanks." Evelyn snatched his wrist and with a sterile needle she pricked his finger, pressing it to a slide. Then, a second later, she took a minute sample of Rachel's blood and placed it on the slide besides, so that it contaminated the blood sample.

She peered through the eye lenses, and noted what she saw. "Huh. Curious. Doesn't help shit though, because I can't frigging reverse it!" She screamed, making Travis jump.

"Sorry." She sighed, clutching her forehead. "I just... I can't... This will destroy her so much. And I can't..." She broke down into sobs.

Travis looked at her worriedly, totally freaked out that this always so composed woman had just collapsed into tears.

"You will find it." He said softly, going as if to touch her shoulder comfortingly.
She sighed. "What was happening with Nyx anyway?" She said, wiping her tears.

Travis was confused at what he perceived to be a sudden change of subject, but followed the thread anyway. "Uh... Oh, shit. We forgot to follow up getting her back from Idris. At least, I did... I'll make some calls."

As he sheepishly went off to dial, Evelyn peered back at the sample.
"Well, at least I know what it targets now. What kind of crazy disease mutates the demon part of Downworlders? Surely a better victim would be, oh, I dunno, demons?"

She put her head in her hands, groaning. "Unless they do get it... Which doesn't help me at all, but would explain why Lilith was so invested in it, other than the obvious. Actually, I bet the bitch spread it, and... Oww!"

Her hand sliced on the glass slide she'd been holding in an iron grip, which shattered with the force.

"Shit!"

Blood dripped onto her microscope slides.

"Great." She hissed. "Just great." Now I've corrupted the samples. Brilliant."

Does it make sense? It was the least long winded way to explain the draught disease, but I'd be happy to clarify if it's not enough information.