Finally

Slowly, as if approaching a scared animal, he stepped closer, slowly, step by step, closer to the two girls huddled together, eyes fixed on Nyx's.
Nyx was frozen in place, eyes glued to his face, as if she were hypnotized.

Maddie whimpered, pulling closer into Nyx, eyes on him absolutely terrified.

This drew Nyx out of whatever distant state she was in. She held up a hand to halt him, mouthing "wait".

He stopped moving, only a few steps from where they sat.

Stroking circles in Maddie's back, she whispered words of reassurance to her. "Hey, Mads, it's okay. Nothings gonna happen. I promise. I'm here. I'll protect you. Just sit here. You'll be fine here."

Nyx began to untangle herself from Maddie, who made noises of objection. "No, please, no, don't..."

"Hey, it's okay, I'm just going to... see what's going on."

Finally, she managed to persuade Maddie to let go of her. "Hey. Right back. I promise."

Slowly, nerves wracking her body suddenly, partly instigated by the sudden loss of Maddie in her arms. It was easier to be brave when she was protecting someone else.

She stopped in front of him, a few steps distance from him. "Um... Hi?" She spoke quietly, voice cracking slightly​.

"Hi."

There was a very pregnant silence.

"Wow, the sexual tension is just suffocating between you two." Luci exclaimed sarcastically. "Seriously though, either kiss and make up or just go your metaphorical seperate ways. Doing whatever you're doing now is just making you both extremely irritating."

Alysha snorted from her corner, but didn't say anything, instead picking at her nails with an exaggerated intensity.

Nyx shuffled her feet awkwardly. Suddenly, she broke into nervous laughter. "I don't know what to say!" She gasped between giggles, clutching at her stomach and rubbing at her eyes, making a point of not looking directly at his face, just because of how incredibly awkward it was not knowing how to react.

He couldn't help but crack a grin watching her, chuckling quietly. "Well, it's a better reaction than some of what I expected."

Maddie was watching, the confusion pilling onto her by the minute. Suddenly, she lost her temper. "Can somebody explain what the fuck is going on!" She shrieked.