Chapter 34

On the side is a picture of the diner just so you guys can get that mental picture :)

Chapter 34

The early morning breeze felt nice as the cool air hit my face, my ponytail swishing slightly. It was barely going to eight in the morning the sun was blocked behind the dark clouds that loomed over the sky. Kasey was set to arrive in a few minutes for our meeting.

In the practically empty parking lot of Lucky Star’s Diner I casually leaned against the front of my car while smoking a cigarette. It was down to a small bud now taking one last pull from it the smoke began to fill into my lungs. 

Holding in my breath I flicked the bud down to the floor smashing it under my combat boot. Before finally letting out a breath the smoke puffed out mixing into the breeze before blowing away. Pushing myself off the hood of my car I walked into the 50's style diner.

Opening the door the small bell attached to it began to chime to let the workers know that a customer had walked in. When coming in you felt like you had just time traveled into the 1950's.

This was my moms favorite restaurant she would always take me and Matt here almost once a week usually on Sunday's. The booths were white with a blue and red diamond pattern, the white oval tables with the silver trimming. Then the classic red leather seats with the white running down the middle, over the years they had really updated it.

They had installed a bowling alley with colors and everything, adding the plasma TV through out the restaurant to make it more "hip". The walls were painted red one-third of the bottom was lined with white tiles and a red square every two inches along the top row.

It reminded me of all the old times when I was just a kid before everything before I became the person I am today.

<~~~~~~~~*Flashback*~~~~~~~~>

My mother sat on the edge of the bed with me brushing my hair into two pigtails one on each side of my hair leaving my front bangs out. It was a perfect summer day the weather was just right, that she had dressed me in a white summer dress. At the bottom left corner was an embroider design of a blue tulip with a dove on top my mom had came up with the design herself.

It was a simple design but it was dear to her heart and she passed it on to me that was one of the many things we shared. When she was all done combing my hair Matt came bursting into my room slamming the bedroom door wide open causing me and my mom to jump in surprise.

"You’re still doing her hair? Mom when are we going to go eat? You said you were taking us to eat and I'm hungry” Matt whined puffing out his chest frustrated. My mother raised an eyebrow curiously looking at him.

“Matthew Alexander Cortez don’t you dare ever barge into the room like that and don’t even give me that tone either” she scolded him getting up from the bed to stand before. Mother was always calm when scolding you that’s what scared you the most Matt stood there looking up at our mother with guilty eyes.

From behind I stuck my tongue out at him, which in return earned me a glare from him my mother patted him on the shoulder to show that she wasn’t really mad and ruffled his hair. “Awww moms don’t mess up my hair” he whined trying to fix it again. 

My mother let out a laugh before gathering us up and taking us to the car where she buckled us up in the car Matt was able to sit in the front since he was 13. I was barely 8 so I had to settle with the backseat it wasn’t as fun but would have to do. 

Driving to the diner was always entertaining as we listened to music to pass the time my dad wouldn’t be able to come since he was always working. This was our time with our mom.  When we finally arrived at the restaurant we were high on excitement.

My mother got out of the car to open my car door because of the child-lock when I got out all I could do was stare up at her. She was truly beautiful at 5’7 she had dark brown black hair that fell into loose waves down to her mid-back. Her eyes were a beautiful shade of light green that worked well with her light skinned complexion.

Shaking out of my thoughts she was staring down at me with a curious smile while holding out her right hand for me to take, which I did while Matt held onto her left one.  Opening the door the small bell chimed loudly when Betty came up to us on her roller blades with menus in hand a bright smile on her face.

She was always a happy person and we had become one of her regulars looking towards my mom she greeted her. “Hello Amelia, how are you today?” she asked before leading us to our usual table.

<~~~~~~~~*End of Flashback*~~~~~~~~> 

“Are you okay?” a soft voice asked me pulling me out of my thoughts. Shaking my head a little to clear my mind Betty was in front on me with a worried expression, giving her a small smile she relaxed a little. “You alright there, you just spaced out honey” she said concern in her voice.

“Yeah it’s just been a long time since I’ve been here that’s all reminded me of all the old times” I said truthfully. Betty gave me a sad smile “Do you mind if I just in the back booth?” I asked politely giving me a nod she led me to the back.

Sliding into the leather booth I sat with my back to the wall so when Kasey came in she would be able to fine me. Looking at my iPhone the clock read 8:07 am she would be here any minute now, just as I put my phone back into my pocket. 

Betty came leaving me a pitcher of cold water and two glass cups filled with ice,  before taking my order I got the Star Deluxe cheese burger with crazy chili cheese fries to go and a wild chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla milkshake. It may have not sounded appealing but it tasted delicious from what I could remember.

Every time we would come Matt would order the same thing determined to finish it but always being to full from drinking his milkshake he wouldn’t be able to touch his food. I would have to go drop it off for him before I headed it out so it wouldn’t spoil.