13

Louis did not sleep that night.

Louis slowly opened his eyes when he heard noises echoing through the house. Startled, he sat up and slipped out of bed. He was immediately met with a cold breeze and he shivered. He glanced at the corner where the noose was and realised that Harry wasn't there. He gulped.

He made his way to the door and slowly opened it. The door creaked open and he slipped out. He tiptoed over to the balcony peering over the spiral staircase and leading down the stairs. He was soon met by Lottie and Fizzy, to his relief.

"What is that?" Lottie whispered to him. She gasped suddenly. "Louis, your cheek!"

"The weird noises? I don't know." Louis replied quietly and bit his lip. "And I fell." He lied. Lottie sighed. Darkness seeped through the hallways. The only light was from the lit candle that Lottie brought with her.

"It sounds like someone's crying." Fizzy whispered. Louis furrowed his eyebrows and listened carefully.

Fizzy was right. It sounded like someone was crying. No, not crying. Sobbing.

"Who could that be?" Lottie whispered, worry evident on her face.

"I don't know, but I'm going to find out." Fizzy whispered back as she started to head to the stairs. Louis reached out and grabbed the back of her nightgown, dragging her back.

"Don't!" He whispered worriedly. "Who knows what's down there..." His skin paled at the possibilities. Fizzy rolled her eyes.

"Lou, what could possibly be down there? A ghost?" Um, yes.

"Yes! We don't know what killed the twins!" Louis' eyes watered at the remembrance. "We have to be careful in this house." Louis said softly with a sniffle. Fizzy rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Lou, don't worry. I'm not afraid of ghosts. I'll get 'em cause nothin scares this girl." Fizzy punched her fists in the air jokingly. Louis bit his lip, trying to fight a smile.

"Well, yeah but...who knows..." He trailed off. Maybe he shouldn't say anything. But then again... "Let me go down there." Louis said in a shaky voice. "Instead of you." He added. Lottie's eyes widened.

"If there's a ghost down there, you'll faint!" She pointed out. Louis gulped. If it was his ghost, than he'd be the only one able to negotiate with him.

"Please," Louis begged. "Let me go. It's crying anyways. No biggie, right?"

"For us, no. But for you, probably yes." Fizzy said, crossing her arms to make her point.

Louis sighed.

"I'm going whether you like it or not." He said finally. He stormed over to the wall and grabbed a candle from the holder. He used the other candle to light it, and handed the other candle back to Lottie.

"Louis-" Lottie started as the crying got louder.

"I'll be fine. Wait here." He took a deep breath and started towards the spiral staircase. "Wish me luck."

~

Louis finally reached the end of the staircase and followed the crying. It led him straight to the den.

The den was a place that neither of the three went in much, and neither did the twins when they were alive. It was a small, cozy room, that looked rather old fashioned, but kind of modern at the same time. There was a lot of fur in the room, and the main colours were dark brown and dark red. The place had lots of dark wood and and dark wool fur that was undoubtedly real, all over the small room. Thick, heavy curtains blocked all light, even the moon's light at night.