The Girl In The Fireplace Pt. 3

"How long have you been standing there? Show yourself!" Reinette shouts, the clockwork android turns, {Y/N} grabs the fire extinguisher from Mickey and rotates the mirror.

"Hello, Reinette. Hasn't time flown?" {Y/N} says jumping down form the small ledge in which the mirror was above and landing to the floor with a small thud.

"Fireplace woman!" {Y/N} sprays the android and throws the extinguisher to Mickey who had followed along with the Doctor and Rose, the android creaks and clanks as its gears start to move.

"What's it doing?" Mickey asks.

"Switching back on. Melting the ice" the Doctor says.

"And then what?"

"Then it kills everyone in the room. Focuses the mind, doesn't it? Who are you? Identify yourself. Order it to answer me" {Y/N} says looking at Reinette.

"Why should it listen to me?" Reinette asks, confusion lacing her voice.

"I don't know. It did when you were a child. Let's see if you've still got it" {Y/N} says shrugging and gesturing towards the android.

"Answer her question. Answer any and all questions put to you."

"I am repair droid seven."

"What happened to the ship, then? There was a lot of damage" {Y/N} says.

"Ion storm. Eighty two percent systems failure."

"That ship hasn't moved in over a year. What's taken you so long?"

"We did not have the parts."

"Always comes down to that, doesn't it? The parts" Mickey says crossing his arms.

"What's happened to the crew? Where are they?" {Y/N} asks.

"We did not have the parts."

"There should have been over fifty people on your ship. Where did they go?" the Doctor asks.

"We did not have the parts."

"Fifty people don't just disappear. Where. Oh. You didn't have the parts, so you used the crew" {Y/N} says.

"The crew?" Mickey says.

"We found a camera with an eye in it, and there was a heart wired in to machinery" Rose replies.

"It was just doing what it was programmed to. Repairing the ship any way it can, with whatever it could find. No one told it the crew weren't on the menu. What did you say the flight deck smelt of?" the Doctor asks.

"Someone cooking" Rose says.

"Flesh plus heat. Barbeque. But what are you doing here? You've opened up time windows. That takes colossal energy. Why come here? You could have gone to your repair yard. Instead you come to eighteenth century France? Why?" {Y/N} asks.

"One more part is required."

"Then why haven't you taken it?"

"She is incomplete."

"What, so, that's the plan, then. Just keep opening up more and more time windows, scanning her brain, checking to see if she's done yet" {Y/N} says, tilting her head.

"Why her? You've got all of history to choose from. Why specifically her?" Rose asks.

"We are the same."

"We are not the same. We are in no sense the same" Reinette says.

"We are the same."

"Get out of here. Get out of here this instant!" Reinette shouts.

"Reinette, no" the Doctor says, the droid teleports away.

"It's back on the ship. Rose, take Mickey and Arthur. Get after it. Follow it. Don't approach it, just watch what it does" the Doctor says.

"Arthur?" Rose asks.

"Good name for a horse."

"Uh, excuse me... I already named the horse" the Doctor looks at {Y/N} with squinted eyes.

"What's his name then?"

"{H/N}" {Y/N} replies.

"That's a good name" Mickey says.

"Thank you" {Y/N} says.

"You're not keeping the horse" Rose says.

"I let you keep Mickey. Now go! Go! Go!" the Doctor pushes Mickey and Rose out the mirror and close it behind them, he walks back over standing behind {Y/N}.

"Reinette, you're going to have to trust me. I need to find out what they're looking for. There's only one way I can do that. It won't hurt a bit" {Y/N} says shaking her hands out and placing them on the sides of Reinette's head and closing her eyes.

"Fireplace woman, you are inside my mind" Reinette laughs.

"Oh dear, Reinette. You've had some cowboys in here."

"You are in my memories. You walk among them."

"If there's anything you don't want me to see, just imagine a door and close it. I won't look. Oh, actually there's a door just there. You might want to cl. Oh, actually, several" {Y/N} says making a face.

"To walk among the memories of another living soul. Do you ever get used to this?" Reinette asks.

"I don't make a habit of it" {Y/N} says focusing.

"How can you resist?"

"What age are you?" {Y/N} asks.

"So, impertinent a question so early in the conversation. How promising."

"No, not my question, theirs. You're twenty three and for some reason, that means you're not old enough. Sorry, you might find old memories reawakening. Side effect."

"Oh, such a lonely childhood."

"It'll pass. Stay with me."

"Oh, {Y/N}. So lonely. So very, very alone" {Y/N} opens her eyes but keeps her focus.

"What do you mean, alone? You've never been alone in your life. When did you start calling me {Y/N}?"

"Such a lonely little girl. Lonely then and lonelier now. How can you bear it?" {Y/N} pulls away bumping into the Doctor who stood behind her.

"How did you do that?" the Doctor asks.

"A door, once opened, can be stepped through in either direction. Oh, {Y/N}. My lonely {Y/N}. Dance with me."

"I can't" {Y/N} says shaking her head and looking down at her hands.

"Dance with me" Reinette begs holding out her hand.

"This is the night you dance with the King" {Y/N} looks up briefly.

"Then first, I shall make him jealous" she smiles, the Doctor pulls {Y/N} behind him.

"I can't."

"Doctor. Doctor who? It's more than just a secret, isn't it?"

"What did you see?" the Doctor asks, his voice slightly lower and filled with curiosity.

"That there comes a time, Time-Lords, when every lonely little boy and lonely little girl must learn how to dance."

---

~Bread 🍞