Gridlock Pt. 1

"Just one trip. That's what we said. One trip in the TARDIS, and then home. Although we suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into the past, one trip into the future. How do you fancy that?" {Y/N} asks looking at Martha.

"No complaints from me" Martha says shrugging with a smile.

"How about a different planet?" {Y/N} suggests.

"Can we go to yours?" {Y/N} tilts her head.

"Ah, there's plenty of other places."

"Come on, though. I mean, planet of the Time Lords. That's got to be worth a look. What's it like?" Martha asks walking over to {Y/N} who sat on the railings in the TARDIS control room.

"Well, it's beautiful, yeah."

"Is it like, you know, outer space cities, all spires and stuff?"

"I suppose it is."

"Great big temples and cathedrals!"

"Yeah."

"Lots of planets in the sky?" {Y/N} looks down at her hands a small smile on her face.

"The sky's a burnt orange, with the Citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under the twin suns. Beyond that, the mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow" {Y/N} says as the Doctor walks in.

"Can we go there?" Martha asks excitedly, {Y/N} looks up and shakes her head.

"Nah. Where's the fun for me and the Doctor? We don't want to go home. Instead, this is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, planet New Earth. Second hope of mankind. Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically it's the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built" {Y/N} says jumping off the railing and walking over to the control panel flicking switches.

*Time skip*

The TARDIS is blocking a narrow alleyway. They walk out into rain and {Y/N}'s face scrunches.

"Oh, that's nice. Time Lord version of dazzling" Martha says.

"Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone. Come on, let's get under cover!" the Doctor says as the run over to a plywood ghetto.

"Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me, on a Wednesday afternoon" Martha says.

"Hold on, hold on. Let's have a look" {Y/N} uses her sonic screwdriver to get a monitor working.

"And the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway" a picture of a high-tech Manhattan and flying cars pops up onto the screen.

"Oh, that's more like it. That's the view we had last time. This must be the lower levels, down in the base of the tower. Some sort of under-city" the Doctor says.

"You've brought me to the slums?" Martha asks looking around.

"Much more interesting. It's all cocktails and glitter up there. This is the real city" the Doctor says.

"You'd enjoy anything" Martha says with her arms crossed.

"That's me. Ah, the rain's stopping. Better and better" the Doctor walks off leaving Martha with {Y/N}.

"When he says last time, was that you two and Rose?" Martha asks.

"Er, yeah. Yeah, it was, yeah" {Y/N} says as they follow after the Doctor.

"You're taking me to the same planets that you took her?"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing. Just ever heard the word rebound?" a man opens the front of his stall.

"Oh! You should have said. How long you been there? Happy. You want Happy" more hatches open. The next two are women.

"Customers. Customers! We've got customers!"

"We're in business. Mother, open up the Mellow, and the Read."

"Happy, Happy, lovely happy Happy!"

"Anger. Buy some Anger!"

"Get some Mellow. Makes you feel all bendy and soft all-day long."

"Don't go to them. They'll rip you off. Do you want some happy?"

"No, thanks" the Doctor says.

"Are they selling drugs?" Martha asks.

"I think they're selling moods" {Y/N} says.

"Same thing, isn't it?" more people start to enter the area, listless and dressed in rags.

"Over here, sweetheart! That's it, come on, I'll get you first!"

"Oi! Oi, you! Over here! Over here! Buy some Happy!"

"Come over here, yeah. And what can I get you, my love?"

"I want to buy Forget."

"I've got Forget, my darling. What strength? How much do you want forgetting?"

"It's my mother and father. They went on the motorway."

"Oh, that's a swine. Try this. Forget Forty-three. That's two credits."

"Sorry, but hold on a minute. What happened to your parents?" {Y/N} asks the women.

"They drove off."

"Yeah, but they might drive back."

"Everyone goes to the motorway in the end. I've lost them."

"But they can't have gone far. You could find them. No. No, no, don't" {Y/N} tries to stop the women but is too late as the women sticks the Forget tab to her neck.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"Your parents. Your mother and father. They're on the motorway."

"Are they? That's nice. I'm sorry, I won't keep you" with that the young woman leaves.

"So that's the human race five billion years in the future. Off their heads on chemicals" the Doctor and {Y/N} turn to see a man had grabbed Martha from behind, and a woman points a gun at the Doctor and {Y/N}. The stalls all close their hatches.

"I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry. We just need three, that's all" the man says.

"No, let her go! I'm warning you, let her go! Whatever you want, we can help. Both of us, we can help. But first you've got to let her go" {Y/N} says.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. Sorry" the women says as the man drags Martha through a green door, the Doctor and {Y/N} try to get it open, a few seconds later they get it open and run through.

"Martha!"

"Thought you two would come back. Do you want some happy Happy?"

"Those people, who were they? Where did they take her?" the Doctor asks.

"They've taken her to the motorway."

"Looked like carjackers to me."

"I'd give up now, darling. You won't see her again."

"Used to be thriving, this place. You couldn't move. But they all go to the motorway in the end."

"He kept on saying three, we need three. What did he mean, three?" {Y/N} asks.

"It's the car-sharing policy, to save fuel. You get special access if you're carrying three adults."

"This motorway. How do we get there?" the Doctor asks.

"Straight down the alley, keep going to the end. You can't miss it. Tell you what. How about some happy Happy? Then you'll be smiling, my love."

"Word of advice, all of you. Cash up, close down and pack your bags" {Y/N} says.

"Why's that, then?"

"Because as soon as we've found her, alive and well. And we will find her alive and well. Then we're coming back, and this street is closing tonight!" she says as her and the Doctor walk off.

---

~Bread 🍞