42 Pt. 3

The Doctor and {Y/N} are now in spacesuits.

"I can't let you do this" Scannell says.

"You're wasting your breath, Scannell. You're not going to stop us" the Doctor says.

"You two want to open an airlock in flight on a ship spinning into the sun. No one can survive that."

"Oh, just you watch."

"You two open that airlock, it's suicide. This close to the sun, the shields will barely protect you."

"If we can boost the magnetic lock on the ship's exterior, it should remagnetise the pod. Now, while we're out there, you have got to get the rest of those doors open. We need those auxiliary engines" {Y/N} says.

"Will you listen! They're too far away. It's too late."

"We're not going to lose her" {Y/N} says her eyes growing dark as her and the Doctor put on helmets and step into the airlock.

"Decompression initiated. Impact in twelve fifty-five...Impact in eleven fifteen. Heat shield failing. At ten percent" The Doctor opens the outer airlock door and the unfiltered sunlight streams in. Gritting his teeth, both {Y/N} and himself climb outside {Y/N} reaches for a row of four buttons on the ship's hull. The Doctor has to hold on to her hand as well as the edge of the airlock because there is no safety line.

"Come on! Go on, my son!" the Doctor says, {Y/N} squints shaking her head as she presses two buttons then stretches for the box just beyond them.

"How're you doing?"

"I can't, I can't reach! I don't know how much longer I can last" {Y/N} says through gritted teeth.

"Come on. Don't give up now" she manages to rip off the cover of the box, and with a big shout pulls the lever down. The Doctor pulls {Y/N} back into the airlock as the escape pod returns to its dock. He looks at the sun as {Y/N} breaths heavily.

"It's alive. It's alive. It's alive!"

"Doctor, {Y/N}, close the airlock now!"

"Impact in eight fifty-seven. Airlock recompression completed" The Doctor has his eyes closed tight as he takes off his helmet and crawls out of the airlock, {Y/N} following close by as the pod docks.

"Doctor! {Y/N}! Are you okay?" the Doctor opens his eyes briefly. A white light shines from them, {Y/N} grabs Martha pulling her back.

"Stay away from me!"

"What's happened?"

"It's your fault, Captain McDonnell!" {Y/N} squints in confusion and slowly walks towards the Doctor.

"Riley, get down to area ten and help Scannell with the doors. Go!" Riley runs off.

"You mined that sun. Stripped its surface for cheap fuel. You should have scanned for life!" {Y/N} kneels down in front of the Doctor staring at him.

"I don't understand."

"Doctor, what are you talking about?"

"That sun is alive. A living organism. They scooped out its heart, used it for fuel, and now it's screaming inside him" {Y/N} says.

"What do you mean? How can a sun be alive? Why is he saying that?"

"Because it's living in him" the Doctor grips the sides of his head and puts his hand on {Y/N}'s lap.

"Oh, my God."

"Humans! You grab whatever's nearest and bleed it dry! You should have scanned!" {Y/N} looks down at the Doctor putting her hand on his back in comfort.

"It takes too long. We'd be caught. Fusion scoops are illegal."

"You've got to freeze me, quickly."

"What?"

"Stasis chamber. We've got to take it below minus two hundred. Freeze it out of him! Otherwise It'll use him to kill us if we don't. The closer we get to the sun, the stronger it gets! Med-centre, quickly! Quickly!" Martha and {Y/N} help the Doctor stand taking him to the med-center.

"Impact in seven thirty."

*Time skip*

Martha grabs the instruction manual reading over it.

"I can do it!" Martha says, {Y/N} stands beside the Doctor looking down at him.

"{Y/N}, Martha, where are you?"

"It's all right, we're here" {Y/N} whispers.

"Just help me get him up. Stasis chamber, minus two hundred, yeah?" {Y/N} nods.

"No, you don't know how this equipment works. You'll kill him. Nobody can survive those temperatures."

"He's not human. If he says he can survive, then he can" Martha says.

"Let me help you, then."

"You've done enough damage" {Y/N} says looking at McDonnell as the Doctor lies in the stasis chamber.

"Ten seconds. That's all he'll be able to take. No more" {Y/N} says.

"Martha!"

"Yeah?"

"It's burning me up. I can't control it. If you don't get rid of it, I could kill you. I could kill you all. I'm scared! I'm so scared!" {Y/N} crouches down taking his hand in hers.

"Just stay calm. You saved me, now I return the favour. Just believe in me" Martha says.

"It's burning through me. Then what'll happen?"

"That's enough! She's got you" {Y/N} says.

"There's this process, this thing that happens if I'm about to die" the Doctor starts but Martha quietens him.

"Shush. Quiet now. Because that is not going to happen. Are you ready?"

"No" {Y/N} leans over to kiss his cheek and pulls away nodding to Martha who uses the joystick to roll the Doctor completely into the chamber, then types 200 into the keypad and presses the green button. The Doctor screams as his body temperature falls.

"Heat shields failing. At five percent" suddenly the monitor changes to stasis chamber inactive. The power is cut at minus 70 degrees. The Doctor is covered in frost.

"No! Martha, you can't stop it. Not yet" the Doctor manages to get out.

"What happened?"

"Power's been cut in Engineering" McDonnell says.

"But who's down there?"

"Leave it to me" McDonnell leaves.

"Impact in four forty-seven."

"Come on. You're defrosting" Martha says as the ice has gone from the Doctor's body.

"Martha, listen! I've only got a moment. You've got to go! Both of you."

"No way" Martha and {Y/N} say.

"Get to the front. Vent the engines. Sun particles in the fuel, get rid of them."

"We're not leaving you."

"You've got to give back what they took."

"Doctor!"

"Please go!"

"We'll be back for you" Martha says as her and {Y/N} run out leaving the Doctor alone.

"Impact in four oh eight...Impact in three forty-three."

---

~Bread 🍞