Family Of Blood Pt. 4

"Is it done?" Joan asks as the two Time Loads stand a few feet behind her.

"It's done" the Doctor says.

"The police and the army are at the school. The parents have come to take the boys home. I should go. They'll have so many questions. I'm not sure what to say" Joan turns "oh, you two look the same. Goodness, you must forgive my rudeness. I find it difficult to look at you. Where are they? John Smith and Mary?"

"They're in here somewhere" {Y/N} says tapping her head.

"Like a story. Could you change back?"

"Yes" {Y/N} replies, playing with the hem of her trench coat sleeves.

"Will you?"

"No" the Doctor replies.

"I see. Well, then. Those ordinary two. You chose to change. They chose to die."

"Come with us" the Doctor blurts.

"I'm sorry?"

"Travel with us."

"As what?"

"Our companion."

"But that's not fair. What must I look like to you, both? I must seem so very small."

"No. We could start again. We'd like that. You, {Y/N} and me. We could try, at least. Because everything that John Smith and Mary is and was, we're capable of that, too."

"I can't."

"Please come with us."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"They're both dead, and you look like them."

"But they're here, inside, if you look in our eyes."

"Answer me this. Just one question, that's all. If the Doctor and {Y/N} had never visited us, if they'd never chosen this place on a whim, would anybody here have died?" the Doctor and {Y/N} are silent "you can go" the Doctor and {Y/N} look at Joan sadly before leaving. In the pouring rain. Martha is waiting by the TARDIS, which is now parked where the scarecrow that {Y/N} mended used to stand.

"Right then. Molto bene" the Doctor says.

"How was she?" Martha asks.

"Time, we moved on."

"If you want, I could go and..." Martha says.

"Time, we moved on."

"Er, I meant to say, back there, last night. I would have said anything to get you two to change."

"Oh yeah, of course you would. Yeah" {Y/N} says nodding.

"I mean, I wasn't really..."

"Oh, no, no."

"Good."

"Fine."

"So here we are then."

"There we are, yes. And we never said. Thanks for looking after us" {Y/N} says, the three hug

"Doctor, {Y/N}, Martha" the three pull away and see Timothy running towards them.

"Tim Timothy Timber" the Doctor says.

"I just wanted to say goodbye. And thank you. Because I've seen the future and I now know what must be done. It's coming, isn't it? The biggest war ever."

"You don't have to fight" Martha says.

"I think we do."

"But you could get hurt."

"Well, so could you, travelling around with them, but it's not going to stop you" {Y/N} smiles and kneels down in front of Timothy.

"Tim, I'd be honoured if you'd take this" she says giving him the fob watch.

"I can't hear anything."

"No, it's just a watch now. But keep it with you, for good luck" {Y/N} smiles standing and patting him on the head.

"Look after yourself" Martha hugs and kisses Latimer, then goes into the TARDIS followed by the Doctor, {Y/N} stands at the door.

"You'll like this bit" she goes into the TARDIS, and it dematerialises.

"In June 1914, an Archduke of Austria was shot by a Serbian, and this then led, through nations having treaties with nations, like a line of dominoes falling, to some boys from England walking together in France on a terrible day."

*Time skip*

A lady vicar is reading from For The Fallen, by Laurence Binyon.

"They have no lot in our labour of the day time.
They sleep beyond England's foam.
They went with songs to the battle"
Latimer is sitting in a wheelchair, an old soldier with his medals and the watch.

"They were young, straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted"
he looks across the grass to where Martha is pinning a poppy to the Doctor's and {Y/N}'s clothes.

"They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

---

~Bread 🍞