Voyage Of The Damned Pt. 5

"Right. Get yourself up to Reception One. Once you're there, Mister Copper, you've got staff access to the computer. Try to find a way of transmitting an SOS. Astrid, you're in charge of this" the Doctor points to the EMP transmitter "once it's powered up, it'll take out a Host within fifty yards but then it needs sixty seconds to recharge. Got it?" Copper nods.

"Rickston, take this" {Y/N} hands Slade her sonic screwdriver "I've pre-set it. Just hold down that button, it'll open doors. Do not lose it! You got that? Now go and open the next door. Go on, go!" {Y/N} says.

"All right!" Slade runs off, the Doctor hands a first aid kit to Copper.

"Mister Copper, you're going to need this. I need you fighting fit. Astrid, where's the power points?"

"Under the comms" they plug in the EMP transmitter.

"See, when it's ready, that blue light comes on there" the Doctor says.

"You're talking as if you're not coming with us" Astrid says.

"There's something down on deck thirty-one. Me and {Y/N} are going to find out what it is" the Doctor says.

"What if you meet a Host?"

"Well, then we'll just have some fun" {Y/N} says.

"Sounds like you two do this kind of thing all the time."

"Not by choice. All we do is travel. That's what we are. Just travellers. Imagine it. No tax, no bills, no boss. Just the open sky" the Doctor says.

"I'm sort of unemployed now. I was thinking the blue box is kind of small, but I could squeeze in it, like a stowaway" Astrid says.

"It's not always safe" {Y/N} says.

"So, you two need someone to take care of you. I've got no one back on Sto. No family, just me. So, what do you think? Can I come with you two?"

"Yeah, we'd like that. Yes" {Y/N} says nodding a bang sounds.

"Mister Frame, you still with us?" the Doctor asks.

"It's the engines, sir. Final phase. There's nothing more I can do. We've got only eight minutes left."

"Don't worry, we'll get there."

"But the bridge is sealed off."

"Yeah, yeah, working on it. We'll get there, Mister Frame, somehow. All charged up? Mister Copper, look after her. Astrid, look after him. Rickston, er, look after yourself. And we'll see you again, we promise" the Doctor says.

"Hold on! There's an old tradition on Planet Sto" Astrid says running up to the two Time Lords.

"We have really got to go."

"Just wait a minute."

"Astrid takes the first aid box from Copper, stands on it and places a kiss on the Time Lords cheeks.

"Yeah, that's a, ahem, very old tradition, yeah" the Doctor says.

"See you two later."

"Oh, yes!" the Doctor and {Y/N} go back across the bridge, and soon end up in the galley where four Host are waiting. The Doctor grabs a large pan for a weapon.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Security protocol one. Do you hear me? One. One! Okay, that gives me three questions. Three questions to save my life, am I right?" the Doctor asks.

"Information. Correct"

"No, that wasn't one of them. I didn't mean it. That's not fair. Can I start again?"

"Information. No."

"No! No, no, no, no. That wasn't a question either. Blimey. One question left. One question. So, you've been given orders to kill the survivors but survivors must therefore be passengers or staff, but not us. We're passengers. We're not staff. Go on, scan us. You must have bio-records. No such person on board. We don't exist, therefore you can't kill us. Therefore, we're stowaways, and stowaways should be arrested and taken to the nearest figure of authority. And I reckon the nearest figure of authority is on deck thirty one. Final question. Am I right?" the Doctor asks.

"Information. Correct."

"Brilliant. Take us to your leader. I've always wanted to say that" the Doctor says.

"I know" {Y/N} says.

"Wow. Now that is what you call a fixer upper. Come on then, Host with the most, this ultimate authority of yours. Who is it?" the Doctor asks after a few minutes of walking, a Host opens a pair of doors "oh, that's clever. That's an omnistate impact chamber. Indestructible. You can survive anything in there. Sit through a supernova. Or a shipwreck. Only one person can have the power and the money to hide themselves on board like this and I should know, because..." a large device with small wheels has come out. There is a head attached to the machinery.

"My name is Max" his gold tooth glints.

"It really does that?" the Doctor asks looking at {Y/N} who shrugs.

"Who the hell are these two?"

"I'm the Doctor. Hello."

"I'm {Y/N}. Hey" she waves.

"Information. Stowaways."

"Well" the Doctor says.

"Kill them."

"Oh, no, no, no. Wait, but you can't. Not now. Come on, Max. You've given us so much good material like, how to get ahead in business. See? Head? Head in business? No? {Y/N} sighs shaking her head.

"Oh, ho, ho, the office joker. I like a funny man. No one's been funny with me for years."

"I can't think why" {Y/N} mumbles under her breath.

"A hundred and seventy-six years of running the company have taken their toll."

"Yeah but, nice wheels" the Doctor says.

"No, a life support system, in a society that despises cyborgs. I've had to hide away for years, running the company by hologram. Host, situation report."

"Information. Titanic is still in orbit."

"Let me see. We should have crashed by now. What's gone wrong? The engines are still running! They should have stopped!"

"When they do, the Earth gets roasted. I don't understand. What's the Earth got to do with it?" {Y/N} asks.

"This interview is terminated."

"No. No, no, no, no, no. Hold on, hold on, hold on. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. I can work it out. It's like a task. We're your apprentices. Just watch us. So, business is failing and you wreck the ship so that makes things even worse. Oh, yes! No. Yes. The business isn't failing, it's failed. Past tense" the Doctor says.

"My own board voted me out. Stabbed me in the back."

"If you had a back. So, you scupper the ship, wipe out any survivors just in case anyone's rumbled you and the board find their shares halved in value. Oh, but that's not enough. No. Because if a Max Capricorn ship hits the Earth, it destroys an entire planet. Outrage back home. Scandal! The business is wiped out" {Y/N} says.

"And the whole board thrown in jail for mass murder."

"While you sit there, safe inside the impact chamber."

"I have men waiting to retrieve me from the ruins and enough off-world accounts to retire me to the beaches of Penhaxico Two, where the ladies, so I'm told, are very fond of metal."

"So that's the plan. A retirement plan. Two thousand people on this ship, six billion underneath us, all of them slaughtered, and why? Because Max Capricorn is a loser."

"I never lose."

"You can't even sink the Titanic" the Doctor says.

"Oh, but I can, Doctor. I can cancel the engines from here."

"Engines closing. Engines closing. Engines closing."

---

~Bread 🍞