Ch7 The Morning After

The automatic doors slide open and Keith steps into the kitchen where Hunk is plating up breakfast for Coran, Allura and Pidge. Hunk turns to Keith with a large grin; he is wearing a florescent, rainbow headband.

"Howdy partner!" Hunk greets with a wink.

Keith stares at him for a moment before silently turning around to leave again. Lance had walked in at that moment and bumps into Keith. Lance rubs his eyes sleepily and blinks a couple times at Keith before responding.

"Oh, sorry Keith." He mumbles. Lance steps past Keith sluggishly before coming to an abrupt stop. He squints at Hunk as if his eyes are deceiving him. "Hunk...why are you wearing a rainbow headband?"

"What are you talking about? I've always worn this." Hunk says.

Lance strokes his chin. "Pretty sure it was orange..."

"Hunk, I know what you're doing." Keith replies, crossing his arms. "I know you're trying to be supportive but please take that thing off. It's hurting my eyes."

"And frankly, it doesn't match the outfit." Lance adds.

"I'm not trying to do anything," Hunk denies. "I've always been a part of the gay rights movement."

Both Keith and Lance peer at Hunk.

"Alright fine! I'll take it off." Hunk says, pulling off his rainbow headband.

Shiro enters the room already dressed and ready. He puts one hand on his hip and points the other one up into the air.

"To the training gym!" Shiro hollers.

"Give us some time to wake up." Lance whines.

Shiro lowers the hand that was in the air to point at Lance. "No." He answers shortly before leaving the room.

Keith shrugs and follows after Shiro, earning a frown from Lance. Hunk was kind enough to give Lance a quick feed before they left with Pidge.

"I never noticed before but Keith and Shiro are pretty close, hey?" Lance says as they travel through the halls.

"You never noticed?" Pidge repeats. "They're like brothers."

"No, it's more like, I dunno..." Lance says awkwardly. "D-Do you think Keith has...feelings for him?"

"You just found out he is gay and you're already insinuating." Pidge replies sternly.

"Yeah I don't think Keith likes Shiro in that way but even if he did, it's none of our business right?" Hunk says.

Lance puts his hands in his pockets and lowers his eyes.

The entire training session, Lance could not take his eyes off Shiro and Keith. The two worked so well together. They are both so fit and talented. It's no wonder Shiro is so close to Keith; he is actually on the same level unlike Lance. Insecurity leaches Lance's strength. By the end of the training, he is exhausted both mentally and physically.

Shiro stands by the doorway, praising his teammates as they pass.

"Nice teamwork, Hunk, Pidge." Shiro gives Keith a friendly slap on the back. "Keith! You're really improving."

"Thanks Shiro." Keith says before leaving.

Lance approaches the door last, looking at Shiro uneasily.

"Lance," Shiro says. "You seemed distracted. Is everything okay?"

"Oh, l, uh..." Lance rubs the back of his neck and sighs. "Well...You want Keith and I to bond right? Y-You guys are pretty close...way closer than I am with him...Maybe you could tell me more about him? Or...or maybe I should just give up."

Shiro looks vaguely surprised by Lance's statement. "Lance...Sure, Keith and I go way back but your relationship with him is on a whole other level."

Lance looks up at Shiro. "What? Me? Really?"

"Keith considers himself the serious one but he's always joking around and smiling with you, isn't he?" Shiro laughs. "I've never seen him act the way he does when you're together. You don't think he's got a soft spot for you?"

"I—uh, I-I've never thought of it!" Lance stammers, his cheeks turning pink.

"Well it's clear that Keith connects with you the most on the team." Shiro says as he turns to leave. "Now that you know, what will you do about it?"

Lance stares at Shiro's back as he walks away.

"What will I do about it?" Lance mutters to himself in confusion. He clasps his hand over his mouth, feeling the heat of his face. "About what...?"