Ch27 Fear

Please vote if you enjoy, sorry for the wait :)
.
Lance walks into the main control room to find it empty apart from Keith. He is standing by the window, looking out into the depths of space. The stars glisten in his cool, blue eyes, perfectly reflecting the scene before him. His soft, raven locks frame his charming face gracefully. It is a beautiful sight, Lance thinks, but it is a shame that his expression is so strained.

Lance approaches Keith and steps beside him.

"Are you still scared?" Lance asks softly.

"No. I mean, we charge head-on into danger almost every day. The perils of space have become our lifestyle. So no, I'm not scared." Keith answers. "But I can't help thinking about it...reliving it..."

Keith closes his eyes painfully as the memory of Lance's cold, lifeless body flashes before him. Lance gently slips his hand into Keith's, intertwining their fingers and giving him a comforting squeeze.

"But you know that I'm here, right beside you. I'm safe. We're both safe." Lance says. "What matters is that we survived together, so you don't need to dwell on it anymore. Let's think of the future instead."

"In that case...maybe I am afraid." Keith replies, looking up at Lance. "Afraid that it'll happen again."

Lance's heart aches. His body seems to move instinctively, wrapping his arms around Keith and pulling him into his chest. Lance strokes Keith's hair and buries his face in the crook of Keith's neck. He wishes he could hold on forever. Is it too much to ask for, to protect this boy? This boy, who is already far stronger and braver than he is. Though he needs no protection, Lance wants more than anything to comfort him, to hug him and hold his hand, to support him and stand by his side for the rest of their lives.

"Well, I'm hoping it won't happen again. Seriously...jumping into space without a helmet, that's a pretty dumb thing to do." Keith smiles to himself as he snuggles into Lance's chest. "Idiot."

Lance's heart melts in their tender embrace. Keith is so warm and soothing. He definitely never wants to let go.

"I guess I did it because I'm afraid too." Lance whispers, his arms tightening around Keith. "I'm afraid of losing you..."

Keith's heart skips a beat. He feels so safe and loved in Lance's arms. Maybe the feelings in this embrace are real. Maybe...Lance really does care for him. Keith never dared to hope so before because Lance was straight, he was a ladies man, and he despised Keith, they were rivals. But now... Lance has admitted he likes men, he is affectionate towards Keith, and they depend on each other, they've developed a strong bond that has not yet been defined but they both know it's there. As a paladin of Voltron, it has become Keith's lifestyle to charge head-on into danger. Perhaps it is time for him to muster up the courage to face the most terrifying thing in the universe...

Rejection.

"Paladins, prepare for landing." Coran's voice commands through the castle speakers.

Keith and Lance reluctantly pull away from each other, instantly missing their shared warmth and energy. The castle of the Lions lands on a jungle planet, the next in the alliance, and the Voltron crew begins their journey wading through the dense plants in order to reach the village of treehouses deep within. The thick cover of the trees cloaks the jungle with shadows. On top of this, it was already dusk when they landed. However, thousands of little bugs sparkle like stars, illuminating the jungle with a soft orange glow.

"It's wondrous!" Allura gasps.

Keith trails closely behind Lance, entranced by the way the light dances across the surface of his smooth, tan skin. To Keith, nothing in the entire universe is more beautiful than this boy. His chestnut hair, his vibrant blue eyes, his charming smile, his bubbly laugh...Keith wants it all. The playing, the teasing, the hugging, the sharing and comfort, the flirting, the hand-holding, even the fighting. He wants with all his heart for this boy to be his. But how could he possibly express that to Lance?