Ch21 Honeymoon Trip

The planet Diligitis has a rough, grey surface and no vegetation. Lance looks most unimpressed as team Voltron files out of the castle.

"You sure you got the right place, Coran?" Lance questions. "This doesn't look like the home of glorious gems."

"It is what's on the inside that counts, Lance." Coran gestures to a wooden platform connected to some kind of pulley system.

The team members shuffle together to fit onto the makeshift elevator. Coran pulls a lever and the platform jerks harshly before it begins its descent. Keith stumbles and latches onto Lance's hand for support. Lance looks down at his hand, his cheeks flushing pink.

"S-Sorry—" Keith says.

He begins to slip his hand away but Lance pulls it back and locks their fingers together. Keith blushes, surprised by this act.

Lance smiles down at Keith. Once the shock of his feelings settled, Lance found himself with extra confidence and determination. He has made countless girls fall for him before; surely he could get Keith to notice him.

The elevator passes layers of rock and dirt before small, colourful rocks begin to pop up here and there. The sparkling gems grow larger and larger the deeper they go. The paladins gasp in amazement as the elevator emerges in a large cavern glistening with crystals and gems of every kind. There are tunnels branching off every which way with small shacks and tarps set up here and there. Even though they are underground, the gems shine so radiantly it lights up the whole cavern.

"Those crystals are freaking massive! They're amazing! Can I take samples?" Pidge exclaims.

"I still like mine best." Lance says, gently nudging Keith.

A rosy glow settles on Keith's cheeks as he stares at Lance. Lance's eyes reflect the thousands of gems before them, sparkling and glistening with all the colours of the rainbow.

"Wow! It's so beautiful." Hunk gasps in awe.

Keith smiles, completely mesmerised by the boy beside him. "Yeah...it is."

The elevator comes to a stop and everyone piles off. Keith and Lance step off the wooden platform but their hands remain linked together.

"This way, paladins," Coran speaks up as he walks ahead. "We're here to meet with the chief for an alliance. You can have your fun later."

Pidge is trying to hastily scrape some crystal into a test tube. Shiro grabs her by the back of her shirt collar and pulls her away.

"Pidge, that's stealing." Shiro says.

Pidge flails her limbs but to no avail. She quickly gives up and allows her body to go limp as Shiro drags her.

"All of these rocks remind me of Shay..." Hunk says glumly.

"Maybe you should get her a pendant while we're here." Pidge replies.

Hunk clasps the sides of his face bashfully. "Only Keith is bold enough to make such a proposal."

"I wasn't proposing!" Keith yaps.

Along the way, the paladins couldn't help but examine the various jewellery markets. The people of Diligitis are small but very burly. There are blacksmiths and jewellers carving gems in every direction.

"Oh my!" An old woman hobbles up to Lance excitedly. "Your gem is absolutely divine! Quite a rare kind, might I add. May I ask where you got that, young man?"

"Keith gave it to me!" Lance answers proudly.

Lance yanks Keith's hand to bring him in closer to the conversation. The old woman's eyes sparkle.