Ch25 Red P2

Keith himself had been in a healing pod for a couple of weeks. It has been two weeks since he woke up, so Lance has been in healing for at least a month. His skin isn't scarred anymore but it is still noticeably raw. Keith hasn't spoken to anyone since he blew up, nor has he attempted to open his lion. He spends majority of his time taking out his anger in the training room.

"Keith," Shiro says as he enters the training room. "What are you doing in here still?"

Keith ignores Shiro and continues to fight the training robot, his aggression increasing slightly.

"We have an exhibition today, please get ready." Shiro continues.

"Seriously?" Keith says, his voice raised. "Lance is in critical condition and we're having a firework show? Do you think I'm in any mood to celebrate?"

"The people need to know that Voltron still stands strong—" Shiro tries.

"Voltron might be strong but I'm not!" Keith shouts. He swings a kick at the training robot before adding quietly, "Not without Lance..."

"You don't have to be happy, Keith, you just have to be there." Shiro says. "That's all I'm asking...please."

"I'm not going." Keith replies shortly. "If this stupid exhibition can go on without Lance then it can go on without me."

"Keith you can't blame yourself for this—"

"ARGH!" Keith's anger and frustration bursts forward as he punches the training robot so hard his fist goes right through it. "My lion isn't even responding to me, Shiro!" He yells, turning to Shiro after the robot had fallen to the floor. "Clearly I'm not cut out to be a paladin after all, I couldn't even save my teammate!"

Shiro stares at Keith in shock. "Red's not responding to you?"

Keith wipes the sweat from his forehead as he approaches the door. He stops beside Shiro and says firmly,

"I'm not going."

Keith then continues on his way to shut himself in his room.

Another week passes. While Lance's condition gets better, Keith's only gets worse. The rest of the team is currently standing around in the kitchen, wondering if Keith will show up for lunch.

Hunk sighs glumly and stares down at the milkshake he had prepared. "The milkshakes worked when Keith was in the healing pod and Lance got sad..."

Coran rests a hand on Hunk's shoulder to comfort him. "People react to loss in different ways."

"While Lance gets depressed, Keith gets angry. He beats himself up over a lot of things he shouldn't..." Shiro explains solemnly.

"That's right," Pidge says as she pushes her glasses up with a smirk. "While some people feel blue, others can only see red."

Silence falls once more as the teams stare at Pidge.

"Heh, their feelings correspond with the color of their lions...get it?" Pidge cracks.

Shiro just sighs before walking away.

"Come on, it was a clever pun!" Pidge says.

"Sorry, but I just don't feel very amused." Allura replies awkwardly before following after Shiro.

"But it cheered you up, right Hunk?" Pidge tries.

Hunk shakes his head slowly as he leaves the room.

Pidge crosses her arms. "Geeze, no one appreciates true comedy anymore."

Coran looks around before leaning in and whispering, "I thought that was a very humorous, pun, as you say."