Ch31 Lance's First Date

The team is sitting backstage in the stadium of their most recent collation planet. They have just finished performing their exhibition.

"Good work everyone," Coran says spiritedly. "You can have the rest of the day to relax and explore the city."

Lance pops off his helmet and flicks aside his brunette locks. His smooth, tan skin is glistening from his light sweat. Keith can't help but marvel at the beauty before him. He gulps nervously and steps forward before immediately swivelling on his heel and walking back a few paces. Keith fidgets with the helmet in his hands, his heart pounding. Once again, he turns around to walk back towards Lance but bails after two steps and quickly paces away. This back and forth wandering repeats itself a couple more rounds with increasing speed to match Keith's growing anxiety until suddenly—

"What are you doing?"

"Ah!" Keith jumps in fright, his chest heaving.

Shiro slowly raises an eyebrow at Keith.

"I-I'm just—uh...nothing. I wasn't—What are you doing?" Keith excuses lamely.

Shiro's eyes wonder to Lance. His mouth twists into a smirk as he turns back to Keith.

"What's got you so nervous all of a sudden?" Shiro asks, almost mockingly.

"I'm—I'm not...nervous." Keith denies, awkwardly struggling to cross his arms with a helmet in his hands. A moment passes as Shiro waits for Keith to accomplish this task. As soon as Keith has his arms crossed, he straightens up strongly and repeats himself. "I'm not nervous."

"Right." Shiro says. "So is Lance the reason that you're so 'not nervous'."

"I talk to Lance all the time why would this be any different!" Keith blurts out.

Shiro rests a hand on his chin. After a second of pondering, his smirk stretches into a grin. "This time is different, huh? Could it be that you're trying to ask him out?"

Keith's eyes shift to Lance, a blush rising to his cheeks. "I might have been thinking about it, maybe..." He admits sheepishly.

Shiro chuckles and ruffles Keith's hair. "What's the problem? You've gone on dates before."

"Yeah but only one accidental date with a girl, two horrible dates from my dreaded high school years and one real date that I got asked out on." Keith says. "I've never actually taken anyone on a date, especially not someone this special!"

Shiro's eyes spark with interest. "Wow, your feelings for Lance are this serious and you're still not ready to confess?"

Keith remains silent. He promised Lance that he would take his time with their relationship. Technically, they aren't even in a real relationship. That's why this next step means so much to Keith. Anyway, he can't tell Shiro about everything out of his mutual respect and trust with Lance, but Keith's feelings have never been a secret.

"It's not about me, it's about Lance not being ready..." Keith mumbles.

Shiro frowns sadly. "I know you doubt yourself a lot but I'm sure that Lance has feelings for you. Everyone thinks it."

Keith knows that Lance has feelings for him, but that is up to Lance to confirm.

"That's not the point alright. Let's get back to the problem at hand," Keith says. "Lance was acting strange yesterday and I really want to cheer him up. What should I do? It has to be something as amazing as Lance!"

"Stop overthinking it. Nothing would make Lance happier than being with you," Shiro replies with a smile. "Just take him out to explore the city like Coran said."