Ch37 Stormy Day p2

The town is mostly made of stone, though it can hardly be seen beneath the thick blankets of snow veiling the streets and rooftops.

"It's too cold." Keith says bleakly.

"We are on a winter planet after all." Pidge replies smartly.

Keith huffs. "If the weather is so bad why are we out here anyway? We should have stayed inside."

"We won't have time to wander tomorrow," Coran says. "Besides, the town is on lower ground so it should be fine. The only danger is in the mountains where the resort actually is."

"Why are you being so negative? We're on vacation!" Hunk says cheerily.

Keith doesn't reply. He can't help feeling down after being supressed by Lance for what feels like the millionth time. Is he really that much of a bother? An embarrassment dare he say?

"The shrine is quite mysterious. People go there to pray for wishes and good fortune but it is said that only the chosen are gifted by the gods." Allura says.

"The chosen? Sounds stupid." Keith replies.

Allura purses her lips. "Fine. You don't have to go in."

"It's quite a private practice. You go alone into a dark room and kneel before the gods. There, some say, the room lights up like the stars of the sky." Coran says wondrously.

"...And?" Hunk questions. "What comes after that?"

"Er, the gift of the gods I suppose." Coran answers.

"I've heard you receive a premonition." Allura says mystically.

"I thought it was what you want most in the world," Coran replies. "It is a gift after all."

"And what greater gift is there than knowledge?" Allura says. "The gods couldn't simply conjure what you want out of nowhere, but if they bestowed their power onto you and allowed you to take a peek into your destiny—"

"Destiny?" Pidge scoffs. "Okay I'm with Keith, this sounds dumb."

Allura frowns. "I suspect neither of you will be chosen!"

"I believe it."

Everyone turns to Lance, who is smiling to himself. Keith clicks his tongue in a peeved sort of way. He doesn't know what he was expecting but it definitely wasn't seeing Lance smile so easily today.

"You just want to believe it because some fancy fortune teller told you a bunch of sappy stuff about your soulmate you starry-eyed sucker!" Hunk laughs as he locks his arm around Lance and ruffles his hair.

Lance giggles along. Truth is, Hunk is right. This visit to the shrine has lifted his spirits substantially. He hopes with all his heart that the gods will give him an answer or even just some guidance. What he wants most in the world is to be at peace with himself and to provide Keith with unconditional love... Maybe, if the gods deem him worthy, they will lend him the strength to rise and be who he wants to be.

"What Loverboy Lance wants most in the world? Gee I wonder what the gods will give you!" Hunk jokes.

"I can almost feel the strings of fate reeling in your soulmate." Coran adds, clasping his hands together.

"Right..." Keith mutters to himself.

He had forgotten about Lance's supposed soulmate. The beautiful woman who is destined to take his heart...

Keith had never believed in destiny before, but then again, he'd never believed in magic and quintessence and intergalactic wars either. Slav himself confronted Lance about his soulmate; Slav is the most logical person there is and yet even he was certain of it. With all this hardship, maybe Keith and Lance really are just...not meant to be. Maybe Keith's head has been up in the clouds because for some reason he always felt that it would be him to hold Lance's heart.