Ch14 The Newly Wed

"I'm sorry, I'm still confused as to why you got so worked up over Lance talking in Spanish in his sleep." Shiro says.

"Right?" Keith replies. "That's what I'm saying! Am I just crazy?"

Shiro snickers. "Crazy in love—Ow!"

Keith had given him a sharp punch in the arm. "Shut up!" He snaps. "Anyway, that's old news. Could you please focus? I'm asking you if giving him jewellery is too much."

"Well don't word it like that. It's just a little trinket you bought at the markets, right?" Shiro says. "Just man up and give it to him."

"You're telling me to man up?" Keith replies, tilting his head towards Allura.

"A gentleman takes his time with a lady." Shiro says complacently.

Keith rolls his eyes. "Whatever, wuss."

"Everyone!" Hunk calls from the kitchen. "I've made treats!"

"Go on ahead, I'm catching up with Allura." Shiro says to Keith.

Keith shuffles into the kitchen to see a large platter of cupcakes and donuts on the counter. Pidge and Hunk are munching away happily but Keith doesn't really feel hungry. He sighs and stares down at the pendant in his hand.

It is a simple, blue gem on a long, black string, but it swirls and shimmers gorgeously. Keith became entranced with it the moment he saw it. It reminds him of Lance's beautiful blue eyes, bright and lively like the glistening sea. The gem's subtle ripple of sparkles is as relaxing as the gentle waves of the ocean. It is the same calming sensation that Keith feels when he looks into Lance's lustrous orbs.

"What chya got there?"

Keith jumps in fright and hides the pendant behind his back as he whirls around to face Lance.

"L-Lance!" Keith says nervously.

"What are you hiding?" Lance asks playfully.

He tries to peak behind Keith's back but Keith turns around to shield his hand from Lance's view. Lance grins and starts reaching his long arms behind Keith.

"It's nothing!" Keith says, trying to fend off Lance with his free hand.

"Come on, show me!" Lance laughs, gripping at Keith's clenched fist.

Meanwhile, Pidge and Hunk are watching as they munch away on their treats. Pidge closes one eye and holds up a donut in front of the other, peering through the hole at Lance and Keith.

"Hey Hunk, who do you think is the donut and who do you think is the banana?" She inquires.

Hunk raises an eyebrow in confusion. "What?"

"You know..." Pidge lowers her donut to look at Hunk. "Do you think Lance prefers Dominos or Subway?"

"Okay pizza and sandwiches have no correlation with donuts and bananas." Hunk says.

Pidge sighs. "Never mind."

"Alright. Alright!" Keith says. "I'll show you if you calm down."

Lance backs down like a dog that has been told to sit for a treat.

"I..." Keith gulps anxiously, heat rising to his face. "I got this at the markets for you!"

Keith's hand shoots out so fast he almost punches Lance. Lance observes the necklace before carefully taking it from Keith's hand. He stares down at the pendant in awe.

"It's beautiful..." Lance breathes. "You bought this for me?"

There are so many things Keith wants to say. So many genuine words about how the pendant reflects the beauty of Lance's eyes. But the words are caught in his throat. Keith can't seem to choke them out. His mind is racing, he can't concentrate on formulating any sort of sentence.

"Yeah, well, a-as soon as I saw it...I thought of you." Keith manages to say.

"It looks just like the ocean!" Lance says, his eyes sparkling.

Keith's face lights up. "Yeah, it does! I thought so too. It reminded me of you so I thought you'd like it."

"I do—I love it!" Lance says happily. "Oh man, I miss the Earth's oceans so much. But now it's like I have a little piece of home with me wherever I go."

Lance smiles and slips the pendant around his neck. Keith's cheeks flush pink as he admires the boy.

"It matches your eyes." Keith says softly.

Lance blushes and clutches the pendant hanging over his heart. "Thank you Keith."

Allura, Coran and Shiro enter the kitchen. Allura stops dead in her tracks and gasps.

"What?" Asks Shiro, following her gaze to Lance.

"Oh Lance my boy!" Coran cries joyfully as he pulls Lance into a hug. "Why didn't you tell me? I'm so happy for you!"

"I knew you were a romantic but this is...quite sudden." Allura says. "I-I suppose I should congratulate you. Who is she?"

"Who is who?" Lance asks in confusion.

"The one who gave you the pendant of course." Coran answers.

"This?" Lance looks down at his necklace and smiles bashfully. "Keith got it for me! Isn't it pretty?"

Coran and Allura gape in shock.

"I had no idea the two of you were so close." Coran says. "It is certainly unexpected, but it is still just as splendid!"

Keith begins to feel anxious. Was giving Lance this necklace really that big of a deal?

Allura shifts her eyes between the two boys. "You...have no idea what that is, do you?"

Lance and Keith exchange a confused look.

"Oh dear..." Coran says, clearing his throat awkwardly. "It seems I may have jumped to conclusions."

"Why? What does it mean?" Questions Lance.

"That is an engagement pendant from the planet Diligitis." Allura explains, pointing to Lance's necklace. "It is tradition to present the pendant to the one you love as a representation of you pledging your life to them, whilst wearing the pendant signifies that your heart is taken. You are unified, like the ties of a necklace."

Pidge chokes on the cupcake she was devouring. "S-So you're saying that when Keith gave Lance that necklace—"

"He was essentially proposing, yes." Allura concludes.

Keith's face flares up, his cheeks turning bright red. "N-No! No, no." He panics, waving his hands. "No, I wasn't. I had no idea!"

Lance stares down at his necklace with a rosy glow on his cheeks.

"Settle down, it's not like you're married by law. It doesn't have to mean anything." Coran assures them.

"I'm so sorry Lance. I swear I didn't know. You don't have to wear that if it's too weird. Here, I'll just take it back." Keith says, reaching for the necklace.

Lance clasps his hand over the pendant defensively. "No!"

Keith stares at Lance in surprise.

"Y-You gave this to me, " Lance grips the pendant tighter and looks away as he blushes. "It's special..."

"O-Okay..." Keith says with a smile.

"So, wait, are you guys married now?" Hunk asks abruptly.

"No, just engaged." Pidge answers.

Keith shudders with embarrassment. Shiro grins and gives Keith a big thumbs up in congratulation.

"Symbolically engaged!" Coran corrects. "It doesn't have to mean anything."

Lance fiddles with his pendant. Feeling the gem resting over his heart makes him feel so comforted and happy, as if it belongs there. Just touching it sends warmth and energy tingling through his fingertips. It is the same sensation that he gets when he holds Keith's hand. Coran is right, it doesn't have to mean anything...

But it means everything to Lance.