Ch18 Slav's Prophecy

The Voltron crew was on their way to the next planet in their coalition journey when they ran into an unexpected visitor.

"Slav!" Shiro greets with a forced smile. "W-What are you doing here?"

Slav's breathing is heavy, his eyes wide with panic. "There is a 68% chance of something terrible happening!" He puffs in between sharp breaths. "I came here from across the galaxy to warn you—an-an attack! G-Galra pretty boy prince—here! A 83% chance he will come and a 10% chance he will come with an entire fleet!"

"10% doesn't seem like much..." Lance says.

Slav grabs Lance's legs and shakes the boy like a wet noodle. "DO YOU HEAR WHAT I'M TELLING YOU!"

"No not really?" Lance says fearfully.

"Galra pretty boy prince, sounds like Lotor to me." Keith says.

"Oh yeah, totally! That guy has immaculate hair." Lance replies. "That fine silk puts Allura's birds nest to shame."

Lance yelps as Allura punches him in the arm.

"Lance stop complimenting the bad guys." Shiro says.

Keith crosses his arms. "Anyway, Lotor attacking the castle directly seems a little ballsy."

Slav pulls at his ears in frustration. "It is most likely he will come for information, almost certain. There is a 45% chance he will get what he came for but there is a 20% chance this could all go terribly wrong, a 39% chance he will not like that!"

"That does sound terrible," Allura says. "We cannot let Lotor get his hands on any precious information about our alliances and future plans."

"That? Terrible? ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME? That is nothing!" Slav exclaims, sweating furiously. "There is a 68% chance that one of you will die!"

Everyone falls silent. Only the sound of Slav's shallow breathing fills the room.

"You can't be serious. One of us..." Keith looks at Lance fearfully.

"Let's not get freaked out. Slav is always spouting gibberish." Lance says. "It's gonna take more than that to convince me."

"This is one of the realities that you visit the fortune teller in. You saw her, didn't you? There is a 98% chance you did." Slav says, eyeing Lance intensely. "She told you about your soulmate, yes?"

"W-What does that have to do with anything?" Lance asks, his heart pounding.

"These events align Lance, I've run the calculations!" Slav answers urgently. "This attack will determine if you meet your soulmate."

Lance's breath hitches. Keith's heart was like a ticking time bomb and by the end of the conversation, it had exploded.

"Woah, woah, woah. Slow down." Keith turns to Lance abruptly. "Soulmate?"

"Ooo, what's she like Lance?" Hunk asks eagerly.

Lance flashes a dashing grin. "Fate couldn't tell me all the details but she gave me a few things." He says complacently. "Long, flowing hair, gorgeous eyes and a stunning smile—a total beauty. As expected of Loverboy Lance."

Lance clicks a finger gun at Hunk, who squeals excitedly. Pidge rolls her eyes—Surely this cocky act was Lance's coping mechanism.

Keith looks at Allura uneasily. That certainly sounds like Lance's type. He sighs heavy-heartedly, imagining a beautiful warrior princess sweeping Lance off his feet in the middle of battle.

"Didn't you just say Lotor had such fine hair?" Allura says cheekily.

"Yeah, maybe he's your soulmate." Keith adds bitterly. "Makes sense since your meeting is hinging on this attack."

Lance shudders, thinking of Lotor's evil glare and fangy snarl.

"No way, he freaks me out!" Lance says. "P-Plus I'm—I'm not gay." He adds hastily.

"Very convincing..." Pidge mutters.

Anything that was left of Keith's heart shatters and falls from his chest. Why is Lance having such a hard time coming out of the closet? Is he ashamed...?

"Perhaps it is one of Lotor's generals?" Coran ponders.

"Slav, tell me who's most likely to be my soulmate!" Lance demands.

"I came here to warn you of a Galra attack resulting in a possible death!" Slav says.

"Slavy, pleeeaaaasseeee!" Lance begs. He falls to his knees and crawls over to Slav's feet.

Slav recoils in disgust. "Please do not call me that."

"Aren't there more important issues at hand? We have to prepare for Lotor's attack, there are lives at stake!" Shiro speaks up.

"Thankyou, Shiro." Slav replies. "I always knew we were in the reality with a 79% chance of friendship."

Shiro frowns in annoyance.

"Okay, I'm scared and all but this is Lance's soulmate." Hunk says. "Aren't you excited?"

Keith crosses his arms and glares down at Slav. "Yeah, I wonna hear this. Come on Slav."

"Look, the thing about soulmates is that your souls are linked by the strings of fate. You are destined to cross paths in every reality." Slav explains. "But it doesn't have to be as lovers. It could be as friends, family, rivals..."

Lance's heartbeat quickens. He leans forward, desperate to hear more. "B-But I asked Fate to look into my love life."

The engagement pendant that Keith had given Lance swings from his neck. As soon as Slav sees it, his mind races with calculations.

"Oh boy, oh my," Slav mutters. "Yes, this has got to be the reality with a 100% chance..."

"Of what?" Lance asks impatiently.

Slav's eyes flicker to Keith. He turns back to Lance and shrugs nervously. "You know what, I think it's best not to tamper with love. It is an emotion. It is far beyond my calculations."

"Slav you would never say that honestly." Shiro says.

"Well, I'm not going to stick around in the castle that is about to be attacked by Galra so toodleloo. Good luck with that." Slav replies before scurrying away.

"Wait, Slav!" Lance calls out desperately. "A 100% chance of what?!"

"Of me leaving!" Slav replies as he hurries into his tiny ship. "Goodbye! I personally hope it is not you who dies, Shiro!"

"Uh, thanks..." Shiro says dully.

Keith grips his arm anxiously as he watches Lance. Keith doesn't care who his soulmate is just as long as he makes it out of this alive and happy.