Ch9 Stranded

A gush of water sends Keith slamming into a rough surface. He coughs up a mixture of seawater and stomach fluid before realising that it was a large rock he had hit-and rocks mean land. Keith searches the dark water around him. There is a cluster of rocks surrounding some sort of cavern. Amongst the waves is Lance, floating limp.

"Lance!" Keith calls out as he swims towards his teammate.

Keith wraps one arm around Lance securely and hauls him onto the small, rocky island. The rain is so thick he can barely see. He pulls Lance along with him into the shelter of the rock cove. Keith lies Lance down gently and kneels beside him.

"Lance...Lance..." Keith says, his voice quivering with fear. "Lance, please...please be alright..."

Keith wipes the wet hair from Lance's expressionless face. He runs his thumb over Lance's blue lips only to feel no sign of breathing. Tears well up in Keith's eyes, sputtering down onto Lance's cold cheeks.

"Wake up, Lance....Please! Lance please wake up!" Keith cries. He leans down and presses his ear against Lance's chest.

It is faint...but there is a heartbeat.

Keith exhales a shaky breath. "Okay...okay, okay, calm down...Calm down, Keith."

Keith reaches out his trembling hands and clasps them over Lance's chest. He takes a deep breath and starts pushing down in short, firm pounds. Lance still doesn't wake after thirty chest compressions. Keith curses to himself and tilts Lance's head back. This is not at all how Keith fantasised their first kiss, but he pinches Lance's nose and opens his mouth, slowly leaning in.

Lance suddenly coughs up a bunch of seawater in Keith's face causing him to recoil. Lance sits up, hacking and sputtering his guts out.

"Lance!" Keith exclaims.

"Eugh!" Lance wipes his mouth with the back of his hand. "Were you about to kiss me? Relax, mullethead, this ain't sleeping beauty-"

Lance turns to see Keith's eyes wide with horror, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Woah, Ke-"

Keith lunges forward and wraps his arms around Lance tightly. Lance freezes before gently returning the embrace. Keith flinches slightly as Lance's arms wrap around his back.

"Keith...your back is bleeding." Lance observes.

"I hit a sharp rock." Keith says, his voice barely audible. "It's fine."

"It's not fine...doesn't it sting?" Lance replies, taking his arms off Keith.

"No!" Keith tightens his grip around Lance.

"Okay. Okay." Lance says gently.

He carefully places his arms around Keith's waist, just below his wounds. Of course, the realisation had hit him that he and Keith are both currently in a tender embrace whilst wearing nothing but shorts. Their bare, wet skin is touching and it is causing Lance to feel extremely flustered. The water is cold but Keith's body is so, so warm. It is a strange sensation. A moment of silence passes in which Keith muffles his sobs in the crook of Lance's neck. Lance can feel Keith's soft lips graze his skin. He can feel Keith's shaky breath on his neck. He can feel each icy teardrop rolling down his shoulder. Each second of it causes hot blood to rise to the surface of Lance's blushing face.

"K-Keith..." Lance murmurs.

"Can we just...stay like this for a while?" Keith asks weakly.

"Uh, sure...why?" Lance responds.

"I...don't want you to see me." Keith answers.

"What? Why?" Lance questions.

"Well...you've never seen me cry before, have you?" Keith mumbles. "I-I'm embarrassed..."