Ch38 Sick Day

Keith is flying the red lion through empty space. There are no planets, no ships...just endless stars.

"I don't know what to do. There is no direction." Keith says over the communicator. "I'm completely lost. Where are you, Lance?"

"Why'd you come out here with no map?" Comes Lance's voice. "Stop chasing me without a plan. You're lost because you're following a broken compass."

"It's not true. You're my navigation, Lance." Keith says.

"Navigation that you can't trust?" Lance replies.

"I do trust you!" Keith argues.

"You don't. Your thoughts are riddled with doubts. Doubting yourself, doubting me...doubting us." Lance says. "How am I supposed to show you where to go if I don't know where you are?"

"Lance, I need to support you and help you find your way." Keith replies pleadingly.

"By mindlessly trailing my endless path and getting yourself lost?" Lance says. "I want to walk towards you too, Keith. Why can't we meet halfway?"

With that, Lance cuts the line. Keith whimpers as he continues to fly through the black nothingness for what seems like forever.

"What do I do...?"

The tiny stars around him begin twinkling, chiming with every sparkle. Their blinking lights seem to whisper words through space.

A pillar cannot stand upon the rubble of another,

It is balance you must find to support your lover.

A bond far greater than a golden ring,

Together forms a knot stronger than string.

Out of nowhere, Keith hears the deafening roar of the blue lion growing louder and louder as Lance comes racing to him.

"LANCE!" Keith hollers, bolting upright.

He looks round in confusion to find himself sitting in bed back at the ski resort. Pidge is sitting beside him looking startled with hot goop spilt all over her front.

"Lance is in his own room..." She says as she places the emptied bowl aside. "Are you okay? Did you have a nightmare?"

"I don't think so..." Keith replies, scratching his head. "Why does my head hurt? I feel horrible."

"Yeah, well, you were stranded in a snow storm for hours. It's bound to take a toll on your body." Pidge says.

"Oh." Keith's eyes drop to the mess on Pidge's clothes. "Were you...taking care of me?"

"No. That medicine soup was for me. I...have a sore throat." Pidge clears her throat and stands up. "Taking care of you two snot-balls is Hunk's job. You should know I don't have such time to waste."

Keith smiles. "Right, of course. Well, thanks for curing your sore throat in here to keep me company, and sorry about the spill."

"It's fine." Pidge rocks on her heels awkwardly. "I know you didn't have a nightmare but aside from the sleep-screaming...are you sure you're okay?"

"No..." Keith answers, lowering his eyes.

His fears are still making him doubt but he promised he would support Lance no matter what. He needs to stop being selfish and push aside his own thoughts.

"Lance." Keith says, lifting his head to search the room.

"I told you that he's resting in his own room." Pidge replies.