Ch16 Blue

Warning: This chapter contains abusive language and violence.
Please vote so I know you're enjoying the story.
.

The paladins are exploring the city of the latest planet they have landed on. Voltron has an exhibition in the stadium later today but not everyone agrees with the universe's new idol.

Keith trails slightly behind Lance, who is chatting away with Hunk excitedly. Keith loves Lance's energy. He had such a boring and lonesome life before but then one day the crazy trio that is Lance, Hunk and Pidge hijacked his rescue mission for Shiro and things haven't been the same since. He enjoys each and every one of the strange characters he has met but Lance in particular catches his attention. Lance is so fun and enthusiastic; it's easy with him. Even in the toughest of times, if Lance is with him Keith knows everything will be okay. He is never bored or lonely around Lance. The boy practically radiates love and warmth.

"Don't you guys think Coran needs a monocle?" Lance ponders aloud. "He already has the fancy moustache."

A soft laugh escapes Keith's lips. "What the heck?" He chuckles.

"Keith? Laughing?" Hunk says jokingly.

Lance's face lights up. His heart flutters as he listens to the sweet sounds of Keith's cute little laugh.

"Well, if anyone can make Keith laugh it's me. We all know I'm hilarious." Lance says with a broad grin.

"Yeah but I think in your case people are laughing at you, Lance." Pidge replies.

"What? No way!" Lance slings his arm around Keith's shoulder, leaning his weight into the boy. "Keith thinks I'm funny. Don't you Keith?"

A rosy red pigment blooms across Keith's cheeks and nose. He smiles bashfully and turns away.

"You're an idiot." Keith says affectionately.

A grubby looking woman slouches past and shoves into Keith's shoulder. Keith falters, the sudden contact taking him off guard. The woman looks at him in disgust, her hateful eyes grazing over Lance's arm round his shoulder. Keith's gust twists in dismay. Normally, being the hothead he is, Keith would be snappy about someone barging into him, but the pure loathing this woman presents him with discourages Keith to the point of him physically lowering his head as not to look at her.

"Hey." A stern voice suddenly speaks up.

Keith feels Lance's arm slip away from him. He looks up to see Lance stepping forward to confront the woman.

"Aren't you going to apologise to him?" Lance demands.

Keith has never seen Lance act so seriously. Sure, he has seen Lance angry, but this is different. Lance is fuming but his face is completely expressionless. All emotion is directed to his stone-cold stare. He hasn't raised his voice or thrown around angry gestures. He stands firmly with his fists clenched, calmly waiting for the woman's response.

"You talking to me? If anything you should apologise," The woman scowls. "Fucking faggot."

This time it is Keith who takes action. He immediately lunges forward in a fit of rage, only to get held back by Shiro. Lance is stood frozen with shock.

"You don't speak to him like that!" Keith yells, wriggling angrily in Shiro's firm grip. "Take it back!"

The woman's expression is riddled with revulsion. "You think you can order me around because you're a part of that pussy club? You're no idol to me so don't expect me to worship you like the rest of these brainless sheep. You fly around in some fancy robots and you think you can act all high and mighty. Well enjoy your fireworks show, Voltron scum, I know I will."