Ch39 Doubts

"It feels like we were on that winter planet forever!" Hunk says.

"Yeah because Keith and Lance went and got themselves bedridden." Pidge replies.

"Sorry for causing so much trouble." Lance apologises, gripping his pendent.

Keith scratches his head. "I feel like I'm forgetting something important."

The others exchange glances.

"Like what?" Allura questions.

"I dunno," Keith answers. "I can't really remember anything after the second day of being sick."

Lance nods in agreement. "I think I was asleep for most of the time, though. I don't know what you're trying to remember."

"Sleep..." Keith mumbles as he massages his head. "While I was asleep..."

"While you were asleep?" Coran repeats, raising a brow. "What are you muttering about?"

"I don't know. It feels like I've had a reoccurring dream but every time I wake up, I forget." Keith says with a sigh of defeat.

Being more concerned with the time Lance and Keith spent awake and off their heads, the others relax a little whilst looking slightly confused.

"Maybe you've had a premonition!" Lance gasps.

"Or some other kind of dream," Pidge says cheekily. "You almost always woke up screaming Lance's name."

Keith shudders with embarrassment as his teammates peer at him. Lance appears the most surprised and curious, a deep blush across his cheeks.

Keith clears his throat, his face turning red. "Tch, as if. S-Seriously, Pidge? So immature."

"Anyway," Hunk cuts in. "Let's talk about something actually important—like bedding!"

"What?" Pidge replies.

"Allura you promised we'd go buy new beds for the castle!" Hunk says pleadingly.

"Do we really have to go to the space mall again?" Shiro asks dully.

"I did promise." Allura reasons.

"There is a local mall close by but there is also a galactic super-store that happens to have a valuable collation planet in our path to it. The second location, though arrival would take longer, is more convenient for our journey." Coran says. "What decision is yours, princess?"

"I say we might as well form an alliance on our way if Hunk is okay with waiting a few quintents." Allura replies. "The second option it is."

Hunk grins and fist-pumps the air. "Yes! I'm coming for you, feathered pig beds."

Lance twiddles his fingers, eyes flickering to Keith every now and then. "Sooo..." He says aloofly. "Dreaming about me, huh?"

"No!" Keith snaps, so flustered he is practically fuming. He turns away and crosses his arms before murmuring. "Well, I dunno, maybe...probably. N-Not that I can remember..."

"Fantasising about Lancy Lance?" Lance snickers to himself with a cocky grin. "So that one night in the resort just wasn't enough for you? Want a bigger slice of Loverboy Lance do you?"

"Shut up!" Keith squeaks before running away.

Lance smiles to himself in a smug, satisfied sort of way. "Cute..."

Keith escapes to his room where he flops face-down onto his bed. If he really was having that kind of dream...he kind of wishes he could remember.

Keith rolls over and stares at the ceiling. But what if Pidge and Lance were both right and it wasn't a scandalise dream, but a sexy premonition.

Keith grabs his pillow and smothers it on top of his face, screaming into it as he kicks his feet. Now he really wishes he could remember his dream and every dirty little detail that just might come true.

"I was wondering where you ran off to and I find you in here having a fit."

Keith stops and looks up to see Lance leaning in the doorway. The doorway of his room. Lance and him alone in his bedroom.

"Wait! I-I'm not ready to fulfil my prophecy yet," Keith bolts upright and pegs the pillow at Lance. "Get out!"

"Hey!" Lance says, shielding himself from the flying pillow.

Keith gasps sharply. "Prophecy!"

"What?" Lance replies.

"Not a premonition, a prophecy! I'm sure of it!" Keith says, his eyes wild. "Like when you were caught in the blizzard and we were almost separated for good but the gods gave me this riddle about it—" Keith suddenly looks alert with terror. "But if the gods are trying to reach out to me again, does that mean something significant is about to happen?"

"Uh, Keith?"

Keith dives down into his bed. "Lance get out I need to remember!"

"Alright fine!"

Lance begins to turn his back when Keith calls out to him desperately.

"No, wait—Don't leave! I-I didn't mean it," He says. "Sorry, come back...it'll be easier to fall asleep with you here."

Lance sighs and picks up the pillow Keith had thrown before making his way to the bed. "Geez, why are you such a Tsundere? Just say what you mean."

"I'm sorry, I'm a little stressed and scattered." Keith says.

"Yeah me too," Lance replies. "What on earth are you babbling on about? Gods and prophecies?"

Keith slowly settles back down into bed as Lance lays down.

"Back at the shrine on that winter planet. I think the gods spoke to me but the others don't believe me." Keith's eyebrows furrow as he tries to recall the event. "Funny. I...I can't really remember what they said exactly. I just...knew."

"You just knew?" Lance repeats as he pulls the blanket up over them. "Knew what?"

"The truth? I don't know." Keith says. "I think it lead me to you. I think it helped me make the right decision. I had almost given up, you know. On you...on us. But I held on because I didn't want to be torn apart."

Lance looks at Keith sadly. He wraps his arms around Keith and pulls him in closer, hugging him for comfort. Keith snuggles up to Lance, and Lance gently traces his fingers along Keith's smooth skin. A moment of silence passes as the two relax in each other's arms, but something is tugging on Lance's heart. Something that makes him speak out.

"So, you were feeling so lost and alone that you cried to some god for help but you didn't even tell me how you were feeling?"

Keith's chest feels heavy. He tries to justify himself but Lance isn't finished.

"If the gods are trying to reach out to you, is it because they haven't finished answering your prayer? Is it because...you still have doubts?" He says quietly. "Are you finding it hard to hold on, Keith?"

"No." Keith answers immediately, clinging to Lance tightly.

Lance breathes a sigh as he pushes back Keith's fringe to kiss his forehead. "Don't lie to me, Keith." Lance whispers. "I thought I told you to stop being stubborn and trust in me."

Keith remains silent as he buries his face in Lance's chest.

Though the two are troubled, it was easy to fall into a peaceful sleep with each other's company, as Keith had said. But Keith wasn't prepared for the trouble the next collation planet would bring them when they woke. The planet populated purely with Keith's worst nightmare...

Women.