Ch32 The Talk II

Nice ^
.
.
.
Keith awakes with a heavy heart. His chest aches. He feels tired and sad. So, he instinctively searches for the one thing that brings him life and happiness...Lance.

Keith looks down to see Lance asleep curled up to his side. Beautiful...is all that Keith can think as he admires Lance. He surveys Lance's long, thick lashes, wishing he could see the gorgeous blue eyes hiding beneath them. His gaze travels down to Lance's soft lips, parted slightly for his steady breathing, and Keith yearns more than ever to kiss them. Keith gently strokes the back of his fingers across Lance's smooth, tan skin, completely pure aside from the faint freckles peppered across his cute little nose. Keith runs his hand up Lance's cheek and through his silky, brown hair. He loves this boy so much that it hurts; he has no problem taking his time to absorb each and every tiny detail. With his hand now holding the back of Lance's head, Keith pulls him in closer and hugs him. This may be the very last time he gets to hold Lance like this...

Since becoming close with Lance, Keith has been lucky enough to get to see Lance's amazing smile, to hear his wonderful laugh, to make him happy time and time again...but he has also witnessed a lot of pain. Lance suffering with accepting his sexual orientation, Lance's heartbreak when Keith took a bullet for him, Lance himself almost dying to save Keith, Lance screaming and crying under the effect of the fear gas; at some point Keith has to wonder if it is because of him. Tears well up in Keith's eyes as his arms tighten around Lance. He just wants Lance to be happy...

.

When Lance wakes up, his eyes are too tired to open, probably from crying so much last night but he wouldn't know-It takes Lance's brain at least half an hour to wake up with the rest of his body.

Lance yawns and snuggles up to the warm body beside him. There he rests with a tender smile until slowly his mind comes to and memories begin to surface...

"Lance," Keith says after feeling Lance stir. "Are you awake...?"

Lance desperately wants to pretend he isn't. He wishes he was still asleep. He wishes his mind would go blank again so he could keep cuddling Keith peacefully. He wants to keep hiding...

"I am..." Lance answers reluctantly.

"Are we going to talk about what happened yesterday?" Keith asks.

Lance tenses slightly. His throat seems to close up. A moment of silence passes before Keith decides to speak up again.

"Alright then, I'll start." He says. "I've been thinking over our time together."

Keith sits up, forcing Lance out of his comfortable position. Lance's eyes widen as Keith looks down at him with an expression he's never seen before. Something deeply pained and confused.

"Yesterday when I asked if you still cared for me, you said yes," Keith starts. "But you still seem hesitant. The way you're acting really makes me think that despite what you say, you aren't sure. I wouldn't be upset if that is the case, it's okay to be confused. There are a million different words out there for a million different meanings. It isn't as simple as gay and straight you know. Are you sure your feelings for me are romantic? And if so, are you sure it's not just platonic? Be honest, were you forcing yourself to be affectionate with me yesterday?"

Lance doesn't know what to do. He doesn't know what to say. His heart won't stop pounding. His mind is swirling with confusion and panic. Yes, he was forcing himself yesterday. But he knows that he is attracted to Keith in more ways than one, he was only trying to prove that. Lance has definitely thought of Keith in a sexual way...he just can't seem to admit it.

Keith frowns at Lance's strained expression. He can tell that Lance is struggling; suffering within his own mind. It makes Keith hurt too...maybe this just isn't meant to work out.

"I can't keep getting dragged around forever, Lance." Keith says sadly. "I know I promised to support you, but..."

Lance's heart sinks as he awaits for Keith's next words.

"I just want you to be happy, and if being involved with me is too difficult for you then I'm okay with letting this go." Keith lowers his head in the hopes that Lance will not notice the tears rolling down his cheeks. "I will support that decision as well."

Lost for words, Lance shakes his head desperately. "N-No," he manages to stammer weakly. "That's not..." Lance's vision is blurred by tears. He reaches out blindly and latches onto Keith's shirt. "That's not what I want at all!" Lance cries. "Don't you remember how miserable I was when you were in a healing pod for a week? I told you...I told you I couldn't bear to survive a lifetime of that! You promised you wouldn't leave me!"

Keith's eyes widen as he stares down at Lance. Lance's head slowly falls forward to rest on Keith's chest, muffling his sobs.

Lance tightens his grip on Keith's shirt as he whimpers, "I don't want to let go..."

Keith exhales a shaky breath of relief. "Oh thank god."

Keith wraps his arms around Lance and nuzzles his nose into Lance's hair. The cologne he had worn for their date yesterday still lingers but Keith welcomes the familiar scent. He gently runs a hand through Lance's hair and takes deep breaths to calm himself. His heart is still pounding. His hands are still shaking. He really thought that was the end, what a relief it is to hold Lance in his arms without expecting this time to be the last.

"Just please promise me, Lance." Keith says. "Promise me you'll seriously think this over. I want to make you happy. I wish I could give you the world, but I have no idea what you want."

"I promise I'll try harder to make you happy too," Lance replies. "But is it okay for now to just want you?"

Keith strokes aside Lance's hair to kiss him on the forehead. "That, at least I know I can give you."

Keith hopes that Lance learns to be comfortable with himself soon. He can't help but selfishly desire to have Lance all to himself. He can't help but want something real, something unbreakable. He can't help but dream that one day Lance won't be ashamed to scream his feelings for Keith loud enough for the whole universe to hear.