Ch17 Blue P2

Hope everyone has had a happy season 4 watching I know I have! Rip though I just realised I named the group of terrorists in my book "rebels" as in rebel against Voltron but there are good guy rebels in the actual show rippity rip rip sorry.

.

"We've interrogated the rebels and found their hideout. After today's ambush every last one of them will be put behind bars." Shiro announces. "Good work, team. Soon we won't have to worry about them causing any more trouble."

"Lance, you coming?" Hunk asks.

Lance looks back at Keith's healing pod. "I-I want to stay. There has to be someone here when Keith wakes up."

"Allura and Coran will be in the castle," Pidge says. "We could use your help."

"Please..." Lance replies. "Let me stay."

"Very well," Shiro agrees. "Pidge, Hunk, let's go."

Lance sits on the floor by Keith's healing pod and watches it patiently. Since yesterday's fight, Lance hasn't left this spot. He doesn't want Keith to awake alone.

Shiro, Pidge and Hunk successfully took down the rebels by themselves. Over the next few days, Lance remains beside Keith's healing pod. He doesn't leave to train or sleep or eat or even mingle with fans. He doesn't have the energy to do anything. Keith was his energy. Lance feels completely lost, as if he is missing a piece of himself. His chest feels empty...as if his heart is missing.

"I'm not hungry, Hunk." Lance says drearily, hearing the footsteps from behind him.

Hunk approaches his friend gently. "Lance, buddy, this isn't healthy. Soon we're going to have to put you in a healing pod."

"I should be the one in a healing pod, not him." Lance says as he gazes at Keith sadly. "I don't have the right to be happy while he is in here suffering."

"You don't have to act as if this never happened but you don't have to starve yourself either." Hunk replies.

"But what if he wakes up. I have to-I-I have to be here." Lance says shakily.

"Lance, Keith's not going anywhere. He's perfectly safe, okay?" Hunk places a soft grip on Lance's shoulders to lead him out of the room. "Come on, Keith doesn't want you to suffer either. Please just come get something to eat."

Lance looks back at Keith worriedly as he and Hunk leave. As soon as the doors close shut, he is met with a wave of separation anxiety. Lance reaches up a trembling hand and clasps the pendant hanging around his neck. He takes a deep breath to calm himself.

"How about we make some milkshakes? You love visiting Kaltenecker!" Hunk proposes.

Lance nods slowly. "Okay...Thanks, Hunk."

.

Pidge walks into the kitchen to see Lance moping over a milkshake. He isn't really drinking, more sulkily stirring his straw in the thick milk.

"You really miss Keith, huh?" Pidge says. "Didn't know you were the clingy type."

"I don't miss him, I just feel guilty alright! As his teammate, I am worried for his safety. I am not clingy!" Lance denies.

"Out of a packet of fifty-eight straws you picked out the only red one left." Pidge points out.

Lance pauses to look down at the bright red straw in his hand. He shoves aside his milkshake and crosses his arms. "Fine! So what if I miss him? Is it that weird?"

Pidge smiles comfortingly. "Of course not, Lance. He's like your other half. You're the space ranger duo-- The sharp shooter and the samurai!"

Lance lowers his eyes as he fiddles with his pendant. "You know...Keith might be rough around the edges but he is a good person at heart. His loyalty is unconditional; he is always there for me...but I wasn't always there for him." Lance rises from his seat. "That's why I have to be there for him now."

"What? You're going back to the healing room? You barely touched your milkshake." Hunk says. "Pidge! Do you know how long it took me to get Lance out of that room?"

"Oohh, at least take your milkshake with you!" Pidge calls after Lance.

Lance ignores his friends and walks out the door with his hands in his pockets.

It was the loneliest week of Lance's life, waiting for Keith to come out of that healing pod. His heart ached as he lay on the floor through day and night. Hunk regularly brought Lance food of which he ate very little. Pidge would occasionally try to tempt him out of the room with video games to no avail. Even Allura tried to lure him out with her charms but he wasn't interested. Shiro tried to reason with Lance and when that failed, he implemented frequent mandatory team trainings, insisting that it would make a good distraction, but Lance never showed. Lastly was Coran, he didn't try to pry Lance away from Keith. Instead, he gave Lance company and support. Coran entertained Lance with magic shows and stories of his past adventures to cheer him up. Lance greatly appreciated the effort but it didn't feel the same. When he is with Keith, Lance feels all warm and fuzzy inside. He feels relaxed and safe and completely at ease but at the same time he is always buzzing with energy. He feels bubbly and zestful, the happiness is almost overwhelming.

Without Keith...Lance's very soul has been ripped out of him. He feels weak and lost somewhere in between sadness and boredom. He feels empty.

Lance hates the feeling. He kicks himself for being so pathetic. Since when had Keith meant so much to him anyway? Sure, they had grown close, but Lance hadn't realised how much he depended on Keith's presence until he was suddenly completely absent from it.

Usually Lance has trouble sleeping but after the exhausting week he has had, he finds himself easily passing out on the floor beside Keith's healing pod.

Sometime in the middle of the night, the glass opens and Keith steps out feebly, only to go tumbling over Lance's sleeping body.

Lance groans. "Hunk, I told you I'm not hungry. I just want to stay here with-Keith!"

Lance throws himself at Keith, flinging his arms around the startled boy.

"Lance...?" Keith says slowly.

Lance suddenly shoves himself off of Keith with his hands gripped tightly on Keith's shoulders. "Don't think I'm not still mad at you!"

"I-I'm sorry that I made you worry." Keith apologises. "I shouldn't act on reckless decisions..."

"That's not what I'm mad about!" Tears brim Lance's eyes, threatening to spill. "I'm mad at you because your first impulse was to throw yourself in front of a bullet! I'm mad at you because it was your instinct to throw away your own safety like it was nothing. My life isn't any more valuable than yours, you understand?"

"The wound wasn't that bad," Keith says. "I was never in any danger of dying-"

"You better hope not!" Lance cries, burrying his face into Keith's chest. "This has been the worst week ever! I couldn't go through an entire lifetime of that..."

Keith wraps his arms around Lance and hugs him tightly. "Lance...I'm so sorry."

"I hate you!" Lance sobs. "You're-"

"An idiot." Keith cuts in. "I know."

He gently strokes Lance's hair until the boy cries himself to sleep, curled up in Keith's arms.

Keith brushes aside Lance's hair and kisses him on the forehead. "Goodnight, Lance."