chapter 4

Sam turned to her, his eyes wary of her words, she could attempt to piss him off if the guilt tactics did not work, although he doubted if the anger tactics would work when he already knew he was guilty. And Sam Winchester is guilty of a lot of things. "Bree..." He said cautiously. She looked up at him.

"Don't even," She said, "He deserves it, I trusted him and you to keep her safe and now she's dead..." Sam looked down at the floor in shame. "I know and I'm trying to repent for a lot of things...If you just let me explain—" He signed. "I've been given half excuses all my life, what makes you think I'll listen to this one?" Shannel retorted, tears brimming her eyes.

"Please..." Sam whispered, the very picture of a beaten dog. Bree wiped her tears away, careful not to mess up her mascara. "Tell me then..." She signed to him. She moved back from him and sat down in the very chair she was just tied to a moment ago.

Cas has come out of the room and looked around at them and tilted his head. "He's gone, isn't he?" He said, it was meant to be a question but it came out as a statement. Sam nodded, his hair falling in his face as he still covered it with his hands. "Should I go get him?" He asked him, it was now a question.

"Don't," Bree said, having read his lips. Castiel nodded, and went from the room back to the back of the bunker. Bree turned her attention to Sam, ready to listen. Sam moved backwards to the sofa and slouched down.

"It started when you guys came up to us... I saw it but didn't say anything. It wasn't the first time I've seen it and it certainly won't be the last..." He began.
"She had the aura of wanting to go, and I thought it was right to want to help her out of it—like Dean has helped me out of it—even when I don't deserve it."

"She told me of it when she moved in with us here under the protection from the demons that haunted you and her since your birth...I understood and wanted to help her through it but one day the demons got to her so bad, she nearly..." Sam paused, inhaling and exhaling slowly.

"...She gave you letters each day in pursuit of your support and I'm so glad you gave it to her but soon it wasn't enough; she lost sleep over it, nightmares and all. I had to cuddle with her just so she could sleep a few hours at least." Sam continued shakily. Bree saw as he uncovered his face and put his elbows on his knees, his hands rolled up near his face.

"One day, one was able to get to her... Zero was his name. We were at a farm up in... We were trying to cheer her up, Dean and I, It was my idea... A barn Dance was happening there and it..." Sam paused, closing his eyes in frustration. "All hell broke loose..." He finished sadly.

"Zero took her with him and we tracked him to where he lived, Dean managed to get him but there was the window where he held Mel by the hand, planning on influencing her to jump. I was on the other side pleading with her not to jump. The psychic powers she held were swapped out of her by him before we got there and..." Sam was struggling to hold back his tears but to no avail.

"Zero dropped her before he was finally gone. I could do nothing but look at her broken body as she laid there in the night... After, I just couldn't anymore... Dean had to console me even while he was cursing out Zero..." Sam finally finished, his voice shaky.

Bree had finally gotten the story she needed to make peace with herself from Sam and she could hardly believe it. Bree felt that her face was wet and wiped it away, hardly caring if it was her mascara she was messing up. She finally had the chance to move on.