Chapter 20

"But?" Dean said, wary of what Cas was saying to him. It seemed to be an observation of his own of the brothers. "You just don't..." Cas answered him bluntly. "Don't?" Dean echoed, a clear question. "Don't." Cas replied, an answer. Dean let out a sigh. "I could if I would." He said. "You won't." Cas said, putting his hand on Dean's shoulder in a sympathetic manner.

Although Cas is an angel of the Lord, he has sympathy for Dean and Sam. He knows what it's like to be outside looking in on what could be and what he wishes should be. "Thanks, Cas." Dean says softly into the early hours of the morning. "No problem, Dean." Cas replied, a small bitter sweet smile on his lips. He knows it won't end well... and if it did, someone will pass onto the next world, be it Heaven or Hell, even Purgatory.

Then the two hours passed with Dean sitting by himself, Cas had vanished a half hour before. He had stayed to keep him company. It was now hitting four am and yet Dean was not tired. He worried in his mind if he went in, he'd see Bree on the couch and ask her to come with him to bed. He stayed outside in the humid air.

Soon he knew Sam would be up for his morning stretches and daily jogs around the neighborhood. He often laughed to himself about how Sam had become a health junk while he chowed down on burgers and pies, merely keeping his exercise the Hunting they've done crisscross the US. He let out a chuckle, his cholesterol should be through the roof.

He heard the door open and out came Sam, barely seeing him and had nearly stumbled. He had dressed comfortably for the weather. "Dean, what are you doing up?" He asked him, bewildered. Dean let out a shrug. "Thought I'd enjoy the sunrise, Sammy boy." He joked. Sam's eyebrows went up in concern. "We're talking about this when I come back." He said before running off.

Before Dean could say anything in response, the door opened once more and Zion popped out, holding a piece of toast to his mouth. "Bree made breakfast and cleaned the house." He greeted Dean. Dean tilted his head slightly. "What does that mean?" He asked him. Zion looked at him, munching on his toast.

"Means she's stressed and or worried. She stays up cleaning and when it's morning, she makes breakfast." He answered him. Dean wondered if that was why she made breakfast yesterday. "She ever do it just to show appreciation?" He asked Zion. Zion's golden eyes glittered in the morning sun, making them appear yellow.

"Many, for Mel and I. If you were privy to that, she considers you something..." Zion replied, eating the last of his toast. Dean let out a chuckle at that under his breath. "I doubt it." He admitted. "Bree is much like you; shows love in other ways. Mel preferred to show it out rightly." Zion told him. "Do you miss her?" Dean asked him.

"Everyday, it's waning some days and powerful the next." Zion admitted to him slowly. "I still have a picture of her. I went to their home recently, hoping Bree was there." Dean peered at him curiously. For an angel, he was strangely sentimental like Cas. "Did you ever fall for Melanie?" He asked him. Zion let his lips go up ever so slightly.

"In a manner, yes. In a manner, no. Friendship was important to her. She still kept in contact with a few friends and a smaller amount of lovers via letters. She told me it was still keeping her memories fresh of before." Zion answered him. "Mind if I have the picture to give to Sam?" Dean asked him. Zion nodded and picked it out of a pocket of his jeans.

Handing it over to him, Zion notes how Dean's eyes grew sad at seeing Mel's smiling face in the picture. "She was only a kid, she's younger than Sam. I sometimes don't understand the attraction they had towards each other." Dean said, seeing that Sam is making his second lap around the neighborhood. "There are no boundaries in love, and if there are, it is often crossed." Zion simply stated. It was true.