chapter 15

"Why should I listen to you, Sam Winchester?" Zion asked him, never taking his eyes off of Dean who was glaring him down. "Because he is the only one being reasonable." Bree said. Luckily for her, Zion always kept his mouth in view for her to read from where she is.

An asshole he was for doing this to her - showing up out of the blue - but he never lost sight of her impairments and what he needed to do to make sure she caught on quickly in fierce conversations such as this. Sam slightly nodded at her words, she was right. It was a bad idea for a fight in the hospital.

Zion was the one to first to break the tension and give a sigh and moved his neck around. He was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to take down a Winchester but for now he had to focus on the mission at hand. Bree was his top priority right now and the Winchesters and Castile wouldn't stop him.

"Look, I just need to work with you three for now keeping her safe. I don't care how it goes, I just need her safe." Zion said to the three men. "How is that going to work if she's as skilled as the rest of us in a pinch?" Dean remarked sarcastically. Bree fought the urge to smack him for his rude comment. God, was he looking for a fight?

"This time I wont leave..." Bree responded, her self concern outweighing her anger at Dean in this moment. "I wouldn't too be sure of that..." Dean said, frowning. "What do you want, an agreement?" Bree retorted. "That wouldn't be too bad of an idea..." Castiel remarked. Bree gave him her best poker face. She was not signing anything.

"Look, what's your problem, Bree?" Dean said, turning to her. "You have no self concern for yourself except for demons and us, is that why you kept escaping?" Seeing his green eyes stare down at her, Bree was taken aback by his words. He had gotten to the near core of her problem with him.

It was always going to be about Mel, she had left this earth too fast and way too young and Bree couldn't deal with that, especially if she has to deal with it with Dean, the man she liked when they all first met. "No, my problem is you because I don't like you." She said simply in a voice much stronger than her own.

"I'd rather have made a deal with the demons out to get me than be around you for one more day." She finally said. The cold businesslike air from the earlier exchange went now to something similar to a a pin being dropped due to the silence. The tension in the air changed to something cold. "That is bullshit and you know it." Dean replied before leaving the room.

Feeling Dean's presence leave her, Bree watched as Castiel left the room in a second, disappearing. Only person there was Sam and Zion. Both were staring her in the face, one saddened by her words and the other tilting his head to her. "What? He knows I'm right!" Bree defended herself.

Sam shook his head at her. "Do you honestly think Mel would be proud of what you're doing to him simply cause you don't like him when all we're doing is protecting you?" He asked her. That was when Shannel felt all the blood rush to her head. She was feeling shame for her hard words.

In a attempt to say something, Bree could only squawk. No words were coming out. She was beaten. Sam got up holding his index finger up, as if to silence Bree, as he walked to the door. As he opened the door, he quietly asked Zion to leave. Zion put his hand to his chin as he left the room willingly. As he left, Sam stood where he was and seemed to be thinking.

Bree waited with bated breath for him to speak, something about his posture that he held as he sat down on a chair to lean over, his elbows on his knees  and his hands in a clenched fists on his face covering his mouth. To her, it was an exact mirror of Mel when she was in heavy thought, it was as if she never left. Sam was truly her male counterpart.