Chapter 39

"Pie?" He offered Bree with a genuine smile. Damn him. That smile. She thought to herself. Bree resisted an urge to say "A man after my own heart." sarcastically to him. She didn't want to let him down in some small way. After all, they were getting along. "What kind?" She asked him, arching an eyebrow at him.

"Apple pie, a favorite, I'm sure." He replied. Bree raised her eyebrow a bit higher. "I'll allow it." She replied. She wondered idly if he remembered it was her favorite pie. "Oh please, not worth you saying that. Apple pie is an all time favorite." He said, moving back in shock. "Surely not all of us like pie, it's the same as assuming we all like pie. Not everyone likes the same thing." She said, a ghost of a smile playing on her face.

"I know, but I know you like it." He laughed. Bree couldn't help but to laugh as well. "I'll concede, I do love apple pie." She replied. She smiled at him as he bent over to get the pie from the fridge. For a split second, it was as if they were in harmony. He opened up the box and set down a piece for her and himself on plastic plates. "Here," he said softly.

"Okay, I'll acquiesce this pie is the best damn thing in the world." She said through a mouthful of pie, covering her mouth with her hand. Dean was already finishing up his pie and grinned at her, his mouth with the crusts and apples showing through his teeth, pie crust crumbs on his lips. Gross. She thought but she refrained from saying so out loud.

"Want more? I'll give you another slice since I'm done." He asked her. She nodded, confirming what he thought. He grabbed her plate and walked away. She tried to get up to follow him but she realized a small wave of vertigo hit her. As she sat at the table, she realized the wine was starting to get to her. It didn't bother as much when she sat. So there she sat.

"You alright?" He asked her, coming back out, slight concern on his face. "Yeah, I'm fine." She signed to him. Dean put the plates down on the table. "I'm asking because you're cradling your face." He signed to her. The second question bugged her, as if she shouldn't be drinking. As if she was a hindrance. "I'm fine." She signed in quick angry motions.

He didn't want to push his luck, especially tonight. The others were doing their own thing and he was sure he didn't want to end up fighting her again. Clearly both of them together was nearly toxic. That was the raw deal of having to protect her from Zero. He sat down and said nothing, eating his pie in silence.

The atmosphere changed from being friendly to now being almost tense. The trepidation of having to say something next was trickling down at Bree's back. She wished she had said something witty to change the mood. "Do you want water?" She asked him. He said no. She got up carefully, feeling as if she attained victory in managing a feat such as walking drunk. She worried she would fall down.

She reached the fridge and got water for herself. Just as she came back to the table, she saw that Dean was looking dreary. She looked over at him, his plate was now empty. "Was it my fault?" He asked her, his words slurring a bit. She, not knowing how to respond, asked him what. "Is it really my fault that Mel died?" He croaked.