Chapter 23

Sam came walking in and could already see that the place was deserted. A draft of air came in when the door closed behind him. He resisted the urge to shudder. "Dean?" He said out loud, crossing the room quickly, his gun out in the open prepared to shoot.

"De—" He started to say but was already quickly startled having a shadowy figure in front of him.
It let out a raspy scream and disappeared in front of him. Sam blinked, expecting it to be back. Sam could see a back door already. He cautiously walked toward it.

He opened the door, squinting into the dark, trying to see what could be in there. He reached out the side of the doorway for the light switch. He turned it on, nothing. Still darkness. He could hear a growl from the dark. Then the growl stopped and Sam stepped back, anticipating a chase.

It came at him, nipping at his legs. Sam had nearly stepped on it. Looking down to see a black dog—a Shiba Inu to be exact. "Oh!" came out Sam's mouth. It was a bit surprising it wasn't something actually scary. "Oh, awww. Hello, cutie." He said, kneeling down to pet it.

"Sam!" Dean's voice nearly shouted from behind him. Sam whipped up into action and moved to where he heard Dean's voice. "I get attacked by a demon and nearly had died—and here you are with a dog!" Dean said, clearly annoyed. Sam gave an awkward smile.

"Sorry, Dean." Sam muttered, almost ducking his head at his brother's words. He could barely resist the cuteness of the dog. It was adorable with its face. "So a dog?" Dean inquired, looking down at it. He had to admit, it was cute. "Least it was something pure..." Dean muttered half heartedly under his breath.

"Dean? Sam?" Cas' voice rang out near the front of the store. Dean was the first to talk to him. "We're fine, Cas. Just got side tracked." He nearly yelled out. "What for?" Cas asked, heading their way. As soon as he saw the dog, his eyes grew surprised at it. Isn't a Shiba Inu indigenous to its area? "Is that a Shiba?" He asked.

Sam nodded, now smiling and standing with the dog in hand. He looked over at Dean. Dean was giving Sam a no nonsense look. "No." Dean replied. Sam said nothing, only giving him the expression of pure sadness. Cas quirked his head at them. Are they having a mental tug of war so to speak?

"Please?" Sam asked, still giving Dean that look. "No way, Sam." Dean replied. Sam held up the Shiba Inu to his face, the Shiba Inu's tongue lolled out of its mouth. It was panting. "Come on, Dad only let you have a dog!" Sam said. "Because I was responsible enough for it." Dean frowned. "We're grown adults now, Dean." Sam said.

Dean rolled his eyes at his brother, he was right, sadly annoying but right. "Fine, but I'm not picking up its shit. Had enough of that when we were younger." Dean warned him. Sam only smirked at that. He was sure Dean could grow to love the dog.

He'd just have to figure out if it's a girl or a boy and then name it. But first, get back to the mission of protecting Bree from Zero and Crowley. The combination of brawn and brains is a dangerous one. They would have to be on high alert. As the two men got back into the car, up above them on the roof was Crowley.

He smirked down at them, turning his eyes over to Bree who was in the driver's seat. She looked up at him and her face became hard as stone. She looked ahead at the Shiba Inu. It panted against Sam's chest. This was one of the preparations for the contract—whether she signs it or not. Crowley was already making his move without her.