Chapter 8:

Eva's POV

"Something is clearly wrong with you Eva, why won't you tell us?" Em asked me. We are all standing outside in the schools courtyard. School is out for two weeks for Christmas break (or technically winter break) and my eighteenth birthday is tomorrow and I'm really stressing out. I have yet to find somewhere to live and my foster mom has already packed up all of my things, and I'm pretty sure once it hits midnight that she will kick me out on my ass.

"Eva?" Ellie waved her hand in front of my face.

"I'm fine." I said with no emotion.

"No she isn't." Harry said coming out of nowhere. I glared at him and he shook his head no. I sighed in relief knowing he wasn't going to say anything.

"We need to talk." Harry said grabbing my wrist and pulling me away from my friends.

"What is your problem?" I asked him sternly.

"Did you find a place to live yet? Your birthday is tomorrow." He said almost sounding concerned.

Flashback

"No they won't let me stay." I said once again into the phone.

"What can you do Lucy? You retire the week before my birthday." I answered my case worker. Lucy sighs into the phone and I can picture her running her free hand through her short white hair before rubbing her tired saggy, wrinkly eyes.

"You live outside of my schools district so I can come live with you. I'm almost done with school I don't want to move schools." I said.

"No my friends still don't know." She is trying to convince me to tell one of my friends, so maybe I could stay with them but that's isn't an option for me.

"You and I both know they will kick me out once the clock hits midnight." I said. Lucy started talking about different options, but I tuned her out when I saw Harry standing a few feet to my left.

"Lucy I need to go. I will talk to you tomorrow or something." I said before I hung up not waiting for a response.

"Is that why you've been acting weird and looking up apartments, your foster parents are kicking you out?" Harry asked.

"It's none of your business." I replied softly. I'm emotionally and physically exhausted so I don't feel like fighting with him right now.

"Is there anywhere for you to go?" He asked me.

"Well if you were eavesdropping like you obviously were you, then you know I don't." I said before I started to walk away.

"Eva wait." Harry said.

"No I'm not going to stay here and wait for you to make me feel like crap." I said as I continued to walk 'home'

End of flashback

"Eva." He snapped trying to get my attention.

"Still don't understand why you care so much?" I asked him with raised eyebrows.

"I don't care, but no one should be homeless." He said simply. I was about to say something but my phone began to ring.....

"Hello." I answered.

"Hi Eva, this is Chrissy from child services."

"Can I help you?" I asked confused as to why she is calling me.

"Yes, can you please come in today?" She asked. I looked up at Harry and saw he was still standing right in front of me waiting for me to get off the phone.

"Yes of course I can come in right now. No I'm not doing anything important." I smirked at Harry.he rolled his eyes at me and ran his hands through his hair.