Chapter 47:

Harry’s POV

“How come your dad didn't know I was your boss?” I ask Eva before she can leave my office. She stops moving towards the doors and slowly turns around, but she keeps her eyes to the floor. She plays with the hem of her shirt while she figures out what to say.

She has been acting weird ever since she found out that Candice and I are engaged and are expecting a baby. I honestly thought she knew we were engaged… but then again Candice hasn’t worn her engagement ring since she sent it to a jeweler to get it resized (I somehow got the wrong size). 

“I didn’t think he needed to know.” Eva responds quietly. I can’t believe she didn’t tell her dad I’m her boss… Sure he called, texted, and emailed me some mean and nasty things after I ended things with her, but I thought she didn’t know about those. Does she know about them and is that why she didn’t tell him?

“You have NO right to break up with her and then call and text her asking her how she is doing.” Liam barks into the phone.

“HOW DO YOU THINK SHE IS DOING?” He shouts, I hold the phone away from my ear.

“I just wanted to make sure she was okay.” I try not to raise my voice.

“You didn’t ask if she was okay a month ago when she called you crying hysterically.” Liam growls.

“There was NOTHING for me to do.” I defend.

“BULLSHIT! You could’ve been there for her—instead you—

My office phone ringing breaks me from the memory of the last phone call I had with Liam. “Do you want me to get that?” Eva asks me.

“No, just let it ring—they will leave a message.” I tell her.

“Why would you say he ‘didn’t need to know’?” I want her to tell me the truth, and I know she hasn’t been telling me the entire truth about everything. Our dinner together was the most truthful she has been since she started working for me. I know we aren’t dating anymore and many years have passed, but I wish she would still have an ounce of trust left in me.

“Harry he hates you—why would I tell him you’re my new boss? He would’ve made me quit on the spot.” Her response surprises me.

“Would you have?” I question even though I’m not sure I want the answer.

“I thought about it—“ She trails off.

“But why would I quit a good paying job, because my ex of four years is my boss?” she asks/states. I was definitely not expecting her to say that. What am I supposed to say to that?

When I don’t say anything she does. “I should get back to work.” She turns back around and walks out of my office. I stay seated on the couch until my cell phone starts ringing that familiar ringtone. I stand up and walk over to my desk to grab my phone.

“Hey babe.” I answer Candice’s call.

“Hiya babe. How’s your day going?” She asks sweetly. I take a deep breath before I respond. “It’s okay, how’s yours?” I ask. She begins to tell me about her photo-shoot in Paris, the new clothes she bought, and the places she plans to visit before she leaves.

“I wish you were here with me.” She whines.

“I know baby, I wish I was too.” I sigh.

“You could’ve come with me to a few of the venues I want to look at for the wedding.” She is always talking about this wedding. I’m way to busy this year to plan and have a wedding, prepare and have our baby, and keep my company up and running successfully.