Chapter 21:

Eva’s POV

When I walked into the kitchen I was a little surprised that two little girls were running around the dining room. They look to be two or three. They each have long brown hair and are in ducky onesie’s. They look to be twins, but I could be wrong because one does look a bit older. If they are twins I don’t think they are identical.

“Girls what did I tell you about running in the house?” Liam states firmly. They instantly stop running and mumble their apologies.

“Who are you?” One of the girls ask me. I see that Liam is about to answer them, so I cut him off. I bend down so I’m at their level.

“My name is Eva, what is your name?” I ask her.

“I’m Lacey and this is Lydia.” She smiles at her sister.

“How old are you?” I ask.

“I’m four and Lydia is two.” Lacey smiled widely.

“Wow you are old.” I tease.

“No were not.” She giggles.

“If you say so.” I wink at them. They both giggle and run away.

“You’re good with kids.” Elise tells me.

“I’m a nanny during the summer to make money for the year.” I tell her.

“Sounds like fun.” She smiles. I shrug my shoulders and Lydia attempt to climb into their chair.

“Come here baby girl let me help you.” Liam picks her up and places her in her chair. She smiles up at him. Lacey climbs into her chair and they wait patiently for dinner.

“Eva, you can sit anywhere. I hope you like spaghetti.” Liam smiles at me. I’m silent as I sit across from Lacey.

“Would you like soda or water to drink?”  Elise asked me.

“Do you have any Sprite?” I asked. My stomach is in knots, so hopefully the sprite will settle my stomach enough so I’m able to eat.

“Of course.” She smiled and walked to the kitchen. I sat fidgeting with the hem of my shirt as I waited for dinner. This is so awkward.

“So Liam told me you are working. How long have you been working?” Elise asked as she hands me a can of Sprite.

“Today was my first day.”

“Where do you work?” She asked me.

“I work at Lyla’s Café.” I told her.

“Oh I love that place.” She beams.

“Do you like it?” Liam asks, he is carrying a big bowl of spaghetti.

“Yeah.” I shrug.

“Okay help yourself.” He smiles as he places the bowl in the center of the table. I wait for all of them to serve themselves before I put a little on my plate. I’m so nervous and uncomfortable that I don’t have an appetite. The Sprite isn’t really helping me. The rest of dinner consist of small talk and moments of awkward silence.

“I will take the girls up to bed.” Elise tells Liam as he collects the dirty plates. I stand up and start to help him collect the dirty dishes.

“You can just put them in the sink I will wash them later.” He tells me. I nod and do as I’m told.

“Goodnight daddy.” Lacey and Lydia run up to Liam and latch onto his legs.

“Goodnights girls.” He bends down and kisses both of them on their foreheads.