Chapter 23 ✰ Her Happy Place

Colin's pov

As promised, I waited for her that night. I didn't like the idea that she was alone with Aiden all day,  but it adorned her that she wanted to end things this way. If I were in her situation, I would have done the same. Especially if the person you have a relationship with has never done anything wrong to you.

I knew better than anyone that Jennifer has had difficult relationships. She doesn't know how to deal with feelings and that makes sure she always has her armour on. Once you know how she is and you can pierce through that armour, you have won her and she'll do everything for you. It's not in the cards for everyone. She doesn't trust a lot of people and doesn't let anyone come close. Fortunately, I'm an exception to that rule.

We have had a wonderful time in the past two weeks. We got to know each other better if that was even possible. We've spent each moment together and even our scenes went on better than before. When Aiden's return approached, she started to behave differently. She felt very guilty about what she had done to him. It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I understood it.

I stared outside. I hadn't heard from her yet and I started to worry. After another half hour of waiting, I decided to call her. Just when I wanted to grab my phone, I heard a knock on the door. I rushed quickly to open it.

There she stood. Like a pile of misery in the rain. Tears ran down her cheeks. Even through the rain I could see that it were tears.

'Jen!' I called as I pulled her inside. 'What happened?'

I took her in my arms. Every part of her body shivered. Her face said it all, but at the same time I knew nothing at all. She was in pain, but I didn't know if it was inside, like a heartbreak, or that he had touched her.

'Jen, please. Tell me what happened!'

She wrapped her arms around me and sobbed. 'I just want you to hold me' she said softly. I took her even more firmly in my arms. I felt that she didn't want to talk at the moment and I respect that. I thought it was terrible to see her like that.

I put her on the couch in the living room, while she didn't let go of me. 'I need to know one thing...' I began

She looked at me with eyes full of tears. She looked broken. 'What do you want to know?'

'Did he hurt you?'

She stared at the ground. 'No, not that way'

I stroked her cheeks. 'Tell me when it feels right. I'm here for you and you can stay here as long as you want '

She nodded gratefully. 'Colin?' I laughed inside. Laughing because of the fact that she said my name so often at the beginning. It started as something that didn't mean much good, but lately it only felt good when she did it.

'Why are you doing all this for me? You can get all the women you want' she sobbed.

I took her hand and pulled her towards me until she was in my arms again. 'Because you're my best friend and I care about you and if you stay I promise you there is no safer place in the world'

'It feels so weird... Don't I go too fast?'

'Darling, I don't know what happened between you and Aiden tonight. What I do know is that he should have been there for you. He's going to be sorry he lost you, so stop worrying. Forget the past, forget the pain and remember what an incredible woman you are'

Normally I'm not the type of guy who shares his feelings, but it's different with Jen. She can do and is so much more than she shows the world. She seems like a cheerful lady without worries. She is cheerful for definite, but she has worries. She is a doubter, a overthinker and that devours her from the inside.

'I don't want to go too fast with you and I'm afraid things are changing between us' she said with tears in her eyes.

'Listen to me' I said while I used my finger to raise her chin. She resisted but gave in eventually. I finally met her gaze. 'You can tell me everything. There's nothing you can tell me that will change how I feel about you.'

She smiled. 'Nothing?'

I nodded. 'Nothing.'

'He has asked me to marry him'

My jaw dropped. As a reflex I immediately looked at her hand. 'I rejected him, but...' she began to cry again. I pulled her against me and wrapped my arms around her.

'Why am I always the one who ends up with a broken heart?' She sobbed.

My heart broke. Not because she cared about him, but because it hurt her so much. I took her face in my hands. 'Do you remember what you said to me when my relationship was over and I went through hell for months?'

She shook her head. 'No, I don't know that anymore'

'You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation. Trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened or you can leave the pieces on the floor and move on. It's just a chapter in the past but don't close the book. Just turn the page.' I quoted her.

I caressed her cheek with my thumb. 'Just remember it's okay to be sad. It's okay to cry. Just don't let the sadness take over your life. You'll be smiling soon, I know it. '

She laughed through her tears and stroked my hair with her hand. 'I'm so happy with you in my life. It may sound strange, but because of you, the world makes sense to me in a way it didn't before. I have a happy place now... with you'

♥♥♥

A/N: Double update, because I wasn't able to update yesterday and I just love to write this story. Colin's point of view first, chapter 24 will be Jen's. What do you think that happened between her and Aiden (besides the rejection)?

Please share your thoughts with me!!

Follow me on Instagram to stay tuned or follow my Watpadd account!

@ CaptainSwanStories