Chapter 33 ✰ A Buzzing Present

Colin's pov

The next morning I woke up without Jennifer next to me. It felt empty without her in bed. I stretched out and got out of bed. I walked past the rooms of my parents and Allen, who were still sleeping. When I entered the living room I saw Jennifer with April and Amy on the couch.

'You should have kissed him then!' April yelled.

Jennifer laughed. 'Actually, I should have done that, right?'

'Why didn't you do it?' Amy asked. She was the youngest of them and didn't always understand the difference between acting and real life.

'The story is written for us and we can't deviate from that' Jennifer explained.

She nodded as her eyes were drawn back to the screen.

Jennifer noticed me in the doorway. 'Good morning!' she said as I approached her and pressed a kiss on her cheek.

'Uncle Colin!' Amy yelled. 'Are you watching with us?'

I took place next to Jennifer. Amy sat on my lap and April next to Jennifer. I wrapped an arm around her and she put her head on my shoulder. The scene where Hook kissed with Emma came and Amy and April started giggling.

'You're kissing so long!' giggled April

My mother just entered the living room. She laughed when she noticed what we were watching. 'Are you never tired of it?'

'No!' Amy and April said in unison.

We let the girls watch the rest of it together, while we went to help my mother with preparing the breakfast. 'I thought Al would help you with the preparations?'

She shrugged her shoulders. 'You know what he's like, Colin. Not a morning person and he can finally sleep a bit longer now that the girls are here.'

I wrapped my arm around her. 'You know what, mom... You sit down on the couch with the girls. Jennifer and I will prepare breakfast.'

'Honey, you don't have to.'

'Just sit down and let me' I said stubbornly as I pushed her toward the couch.

Jennifer and I prepared breakfast, which we enjoyed with the whole family. I enjoyed this kind of small moments with them. I saw them far too little and I often felt guilty about that. My mother was sick for a long time and even then I couldn't be there for her. She doesn't blame me for a moment, but I still feel bad about it.

Jennifer put her hand on mine. 'Are you okay?'

I nodded, but I knew she noticed that it wasn't. I almost had to say goodbye again and it always bothered me. I loved Vancouver, the people there and I have by far the nicest colleagues you could wish for, but it wasn't my home.

After the late breakfast everyone put their purchased presents under the Christmas tree. When I came in with my full bags my mother shook her head.

'You will never learn, will you?'

'He has enough money' Allen laughed.

I raised a middle finger at him, while I emptied my bag under the tree. Amy and April became increasingly impatient. They were always the ones who unpacked their presents during the day. The adults did this in the evening when the children were in bed, because sometimes 'dirty' gifts could be in there. Something that is a recurring joke in the family.

Amy and April played all day with the toys they had received. We watched bad Christmas movies and enjoyed the delicious dinner that my father had made. After dinner the children had to go to bed and it was time for our gifts.