Chapter 37 ✰ The Promised Kiss

Colin's pov

She sat on my lap with her arms wrapped around me and I with my arms around her.

I'm going to get the champagne, otherwise I will not be back in time for our kiss' I said around a quarter to twelve.

Disappointed she let go of me and stood up. 'Hurry up!'

I nodded with a smile and walked to the kitchen to help Ginny prepare the champagne for the guests.

At 11:59 PM I quickly hurried myself towards Jennifer with two glasses of champagne in my hands. It took me a few seconds to go through the crowd. I saw her pulling a man beside her on the couch. She sat down on his lap. He seemed surprised. Just before the clock hit twelve, she pressed her lips on his.

'Happy New Year!' everyone shouted.

My jaw dropped. She turned her head and looked straight into my eyes.

It's that moment when you can actually feel the pain in your chest from seeing or hearing something that breaks your heart. I always told myself to protect my heart at all cost. I've been through heartbreaks. I've known pain. I've let the wrong people in, who have taken advantage of my trust. I know what it feels like to feel as if everything you do isn't enough. I've spent days getting over someone that didn't care that they hurt me... But because of all that I learned to never allow myself to fall into that trap again for just someone. Just now that I thought you weren't just someone, it happened again. My heart broke into a thousand pieces.

'Colin...' she said confused.

I shook my head and walked to the backyard. I couldn't stand it anymore.

'Happy new year, mate!' Josh shouted in my ear. My face apparently said it all. 'Are you okay?'

I shook my head and continued my way out. The fresh air was blowing in my face. I took a deep breath and filled my lungs with a breeze. I tried to calm down as I slowly exhaled.

'Colin? What are you doing here in the backyard? Everyone is outside for the fireworks.' Ginny asked surprised.

I tried to smile, but I broke. I could feel my insides sink, just like my knees. I sat down on the ground, against the wall to support me. I really thought I knew what heartbreak was and what it felt like. The pain in your chest, knowing that things will never be the same again and the empty feeling. I burried my face in my hands.

'What's wrong?' she said as she sat down next to me and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

'Jen kissed someone else'

Ginny was as surprised as I was. 'What? Are you sure it was Jen?'

I nodded. I knew it for sure. No one was that beautiful.

'Jen would never do that'

'I know what I saw, Ginny!' I yelled harder than I intended. She didn't deserve that. 'I'm sorry'

She grabbed my hand. 'It's okay'

I laughed as I shook my head.

Ginny raised her eyebrow. 'Are you bipolar or something?'

'No, It's just... You think you know love, you think you know pain, but you don't. You don't know anything and every time it happens again.'

'You have to talk to her. I'm sure she has a reason for this'

'She certainly has a reason' Jennifer said as she walked toward to us.

Ginny stood up. 'I'll leave you two alone'

Jennifer sat down next to me against the wall, while Ginny went inside.

'Happy New Year, handsome' she began

'It's just what you call happy' I sniffed

'Sorry. I was convinced that it was you. I would never kiss another man if I knew you were there too'

'So you would do it if I wasn't there?'

She rolled her eyes. 'No, I want you'

Why could I never be angry with this woman for more than 5 minutes?

'I really thought it was you, Colin. I would never do that to you'

I took her face between my hands. 'Never do that again. Seeing you with someone else is something I don't want to see'

'I really am sorry'

I caressed her cheek. 'It's okay. I have to get used to it. You'll have to kiss other men with acting'

'I still owe you a New Year's Eve kiss' she said as she hold her breath. Her cheeks flushed red.

That's when I kissed her. Without warning, without permission. Without even deciding to do it, but simply because I couldn't have done anything else. I needed that breath she was holding. It belonged to me and I wanted it back.

'Happy New Year, Jen' I whispered as I broke the kiss and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

She stared to my lips for a while. 'I read your letter...' she admitted.

'My letter?'

She nodded. 'Yeah with the polaroid'

I felt my cheeks burning. 'You weren't allowed to see that. I missed you so much that I had to write down my feelings'

'You're the sweetest man on earth, Mr. Irish' she said as she pressed a kiss on my cheek.

We just sat there for what felt like an hour. Her head on my shoulder and my head rested against hers. 2018 didn't start perfect, but I have the feeling that this is going to be our year.

'Can I borrow a kiss? I promise I'll give it back to you' she asked cheeky

'As you wish, beautiful'. I softly kissed her. She lightly swept her tongue between my lips, pressing her warm, soft lips to mine. The most amazing lips I've ever tasted.

♥♥♥

A/N: Happy New Year everyone ♥️

I'm feeling a bit sick, so the chapter turned out to be a bit shorter than I intended it to be. I'm sorry! I still hope you liked it :)

Please share your thoughts with me!!

Follow me on Instagram to stay tuned or follow my Wattpad account!

@ CaptainSwanStories