Chapter 53

Jay's P.O.V.

Carmen's eyes widened at my last sentence but I shrugged it off, knowing I would get a lot of reactions like that if I told everyone.

"I would appreciate if you didn't tell everyone, I know it's gonna get out eventually but I would like some time with people not knowing." All three of them nodded and Alexa reached out to shake my hand.

"That's a promise. We know how it is to have secrets." I took her hand and she shook it with a firm grip, eyes level with mine because she was crouching down. I was well aware that everyone in the room was taller than me, some by more than a foot. Both Carmen and Ace were about 5 foot 5 or 6, so it wasn't too bad but Alexa was maybe 6 foot, if she wasn't already.

I smiled in thanks, swapping my crutch to my other hand so I could balance better.

"Why do you have a crutch?"

"I broke my leg about 7 weeks ago, I'm just out of the cast and I still can't really walk properly." She nodded, pulling me over to their group on the floor. There were only 4 others, two boys and two girls.

"These are our other friends and they're part of our dance group. From left to right, Eli," short with dark skin and dark brown hair, "Dallas," his long hair tied up in a man-bun and bright blue eyes staring up at me, "Gabby," brown hair in a short bob, a bright orange t-shirt, "and Riley." bright green dyed and around average height.

"Do you want to join us?" I nodded, knowing it was best to take the chances I was given.

"Sure, it might be a while before I can actually do anything though."

"That's okay, can you choreograph?"

"Sure why not, it's probably the best I can do for now." There was a nod from many of them and a few of them edged closer to me, one of them holding a phone.

"We've already got a song sorted, it's called Science and Faith by The Script (In the media) and it's sort of a mix between a hip-hop beat and a slower, more improve beat and we've got part of a dance but not much, we keep having disagreements." I nodded slowly, thinking about how I could work a dance around the beat.

"Can I listen to the song? I haven't heard it before." Dallas, at least I think it was Dallas, handed my his phone and a pair of earplugs, the beginning of the song playing through them. I bought the buds up into my ears and let the music take over me, trying to think of a dance to go along with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Okay, so if you stand still for the first duration of the song, maybe bobbing up and down on your heels, no Dallas can you go to the back, I need the tallest at the back." I paused, Alexa, Dallas, Ace and Carmen were all in the back row, being the tallest and Riley, Gabby and Eli were at the front.

"Front row if you do your thing, yeah, Gabby try and keep in time and straighten your legs, okay that's good and then after the line 'I broke her heart' can the rest join in. It needs to be in sync, so try and keep on beat."

"Repeat the same moves until the beat changes, and then start to move a little fast and then when the chorus comes 'she goes and says something that knocks me dead'... alright now!"

The chorus was something that they had already organised and it looked pretty good, they were all decent at dancing and keeping in time with the beat and if they were concentrating it looked good.

'You won't find faith or hope down a telescope' Gabby and Dallas were amazing together, they moved in complete sync without even looking at each other.

'You won't find heart and soul in the stars' Alexa moved to the front, she spent most of her time at the back.

'You can break everything down to chemicals' Eli ran forwards, rolling onto his stomach out of the way of Riley,

'But you can't explain a love like ours...' who jumped over him and then off what we would consider the stage.

'Ohhhh oh ohhh it's the way we feel, this is real ohhhh oh ohhhh it's the way we feel. yeah, this is real....' Carmen and Ace, because of their similar heights were normally paired together in doubles, took centre and did their thing, which they had always specialized in.

When the beat slowed everyone moved back to their original positions, arms raised in various positions instead of by their sides.

'I tried pushing evolution as the obvious conclusion from the start,'

'But it was all my own amusement, saying love was an illusion, of a hopeless heart.'

'Of all the things that she's ever said, she goes and says something that knocks me dead.'

The chorus back again, I motioned for everyone to repeat their moves with more flare, as a finale was the most important.

'You won't find faith or hope down a telescope'

'You won't find heart and soul in the stars'

'You can break everything down to chemicals'

'But you can't explain a love like ours...'

'Ohhhh oh ohhh it's the way we feel, this is real ohhhh oh ohhhh it's the way we feel. yeah, this is real....'

Everyone was on their knees, smiles on their faces and red faces.

"There you go, a full dance in 45 minutes." Alexa was jumping up and down behind everyone else, her arms in the air and her feet leaving the floor every few seconds.

"That. Was. Amazing! Thank you so much!" Carmen threw her arms around me, hugging me tightly.

"You've got to stay in our group, you literally sorted out a month of arguments in one lesson." The bell rang behind us and I nodded, knowing that it'd be fun.

"Course I will, that was fun."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent the rest of the day in the learning support classroom, Mrs Livingstone got to know how much I knew. I knew basically nothing about maths and science, other than the stuff I had picked up on the streets that I had been taught. Some of the older guys were like our personal teachers, but they only bothered with english most of the time.

Turns out I only had a fourth grade education in both maths and science and maybe a sixth grade education in english, if you were pushing it. She wasn't surprised and spent the remainder of the day getting to know me, reading the remainder of the Harry Potter book with me.

"See you tomorrow Jay, have fun at home!"