Chapter 66

Jay's P.O.V.

Everything was blur, the world spinning in front of me and I shut my eyes again, the bright light and spinning colour making me feel sick and I couldn't concentrate. I could feel a mask over my face and needles in my arms, making me realise that I was in hospital and safe.

Most of my body was numb and I couldn't feel my legs but my ears were starting to work again and I could hear voices in the room around me.

"Jay? Can you hear me sweetheart? You're okay, you're in hospital. Can you open your eyes for me?" I didn't recognise the voice, it was very feminine and I realised that it must have been a nurse trying to coax me to wake up.

I felt my eyes flicker of their own accord and I then forced them open, groaning at the fact that the lights were on and almost blinding me.

"Hold up, I'll dim the lights." When they were dimmed I opened my eyes again, looking around again and then catching Dan's eyes. He was sitting directly beside me, his hand still in mine and I smiled, allowing myself to relax as I looked around the room, my eyes finding Phil, then the nurse and finally Officer Briny who was standing in the doorway.

My mind was ticking, I frowned. There were gaps in my memory, not large ones but ones of a few hours and several spots that I couldn't quite work out.

"You okay Jay?" I was still frowning. When I spoke, my voice was ragged and broke, dry from the lack of moisture.

"Gaps." I could only force out the one word before I dissolved into coughs, ripping apart my throat and painfully getting rid of the dryness in my throat all at once. I groaned as a shot of pain ran through my body and I attempted to bring my hand up to my neck, only to have it stopped by Dan. The nurse ran forwards.

"Easy, easy kiddo. Just stay still from a second, you've had surgery on your neck so it won't be very comfortable." It was only then that I felt the bandages wrapped around my neck and the soreness of my body and I thought back to what I remembered.

I remembered being taken from school and then suddenly I was in a basement, then in another room and then in the basement again being rescued. The soreness of my neck suddenly made sense, as I knew a knife had been placed to my throat by my father and then I remembered the bullet being put into my fathers brain. He was dead, wasn't he.

"Jay, what do you remember?" I attempted to lift my hand again and this time it wasn't stopped so I raised it to my face, observing the pale skin and freckles running up my arms. I also saw the purple and blue bruises running up my arms and I was a little confused as to where I got them from, unless it was my father when he held the knife to my throat.

What about my leg? I remembered the pain, the knife cutting into my skin and the blood loss, but I couldn't feel it anymore. I moved my arm and pointed at my leg, frowning.

"Jay? You remember your dad cutting your leg yes?" I nodded.

"They had to amputate your right leg Jay, it was too badly damaged." I froze. An amputated limb wasn't that bad, Jax had been missing his arm and had got on fine but it was a huge shock, so I bit my lip and stayed silent.

I could feel Dan and Phil's eyes on me but I averted mine, not wanting them to say anything. I simply looked up at the ceiling and allowed mind to go blank.

After a few minutes I lifted my right arm gingerly, it was a lot more tender and sore than my other arm and pointed at the bruises, frowning to make my meaning clear.

"You don't know where the bruises came from?" I shook my head and then immediately regretted it as the pain flushed through my neck and causing a groan to escape my mouth.

"Okay, okay, just stay still for a bit. We might have to put a neck brace on to keep you from moving." I tried to keep my head tilted back, making sure I didn't put any pressure on where I knew the wound was and then tried to think back to what had happened, my mind going over everything I knew and then everything I didn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I yawned, wincing as I did so and flexed my arm as the needle were pulled out. I was no longer on the IV and the nurse had said she was going to try and get the doctor in to check the wound to see if I could drink any water and get rid of the soreness in my throat.

I moved my fingers around again, trying to stretch out my muscles as much as I could while I was lying down. I could tell that most of my body was covered in bruises because everything was aching, I was hardly able to move my remaining leg without feeling jolts of pain so I didn't even try, hoping the pain would fade.

I hadn't seen what remained of my leg yet, I kept putting it off in the hope that it was all a bad dream, I would wake up and I would be at home and not in hospital with my leg still in tact. I could tell I was in a little bit of shock, all though it might have just been my brain refusing to cooperate.

I did have a neck brace on to keep my head still but it meant to could move my eyes and look around without worrying about hurting myself. Phil had moved around to the other side of the bed to sit next to Dan and saying something on occasion that I didn't really pick up most of the time because I wasn't really concentrating on what was happening.

Everything was still a little blurry and fuzzy and I was thinking back to what had happened. Phil had confirmed that my father was dead when I asked him by writing earlier and they then drilled me on what I knew and what I didn't, most of which I didn't according to them.

Apparently I had been taken to just outside Birmingham, over a three hour drive from London and even though I didn't remember anything from the time I was knocked out until I first woke up in the basement, I trusted what they said. Even though what they told me didn't make sense, I went along with it.

When I asked them what day it was they said Saturday, which I thought was ridiculous. I only had enough memory of my time away from home for roughly a day and a half, making the four days seem utterly impossible and if I was honest, really scary.

I thought back, following the path of what had happened to try and work out where I had forgotten stuff. It was pretty obvious where the blank parts were, I knew I was in one place and the next part of my memory told me I was somewhere else and I was trying to piece together what had happened in between the blank spots.

And then everything came back. All at once. And I hated myself for remembering.