Chapter 78

Dan's P.O.V.

"Just don't let go, okay." Jay was clinging to my hands, her eyes wide and her body shaking in uncertainty. Once I handed Jay her crutches she seemed to steady herself but still didn't completely let go of me, leaning on me as she tried to stay upright without tipping over.

"You okay now?" She nodded but I could tell she was still shaky so I didn't completely let her go as we made our way towards the door.

"Jay? Oh my God..." Louise was standing in the doorway, her eyes wide and in a little bit of shock at Jay's condition. I could see Phil just behind her, his arms wrapped around Louise's squirming dog and his eyes looking over at me worriedly in concern for Jay.

"I'm fine, I know that look." Still clinging onto my arm she shifted her weight further onto her crutches as she became more balanced.

Her eyes landed on Louise's dog, which Phil was still struggling to hold onto and they lit up, watching the squirming dog. Louise followed her gaze and saw what she was looking at and then took the dog from Phil, offering it out to Jay.

Jay then looked up at me, pointing over to the couch so I helped her over, allowing her to fall back onto the couch without too much trouble. Louise sat down next to her, the puppy immediantly bounding over to Jay and scrambling up her lap, trying to lick her face and neck and causing her to giggle.

"Puppy!" I grinned, happy that she was okay with dogs. We'd never actually seen her interacting with dogs and I hadn't considered if she liked them or not.

I looked over at Louise and she was glancing in between Jay and I, clearly trying to get us to talk to her, probably out of earshot of her. I motioned for her to come with me, leaving Jay playing with the small puppy still bouncing on her lap.

"Is Jay okay?" I paused, opening my mouth before shutting it again.

"I honestly don't know... but there is something you should know and it's going to effect her and us for a long time." I looked over at Phil for comfort, as he was standing in the doorway with his arms folded and eyes cast to the ground.

"We went back to the hospital yesterday because Jay got really sick all of a sudden, we only just got back, a couple of hours ago actually. Jay's- oh jesus Christ I don't want to say it, it's really bad." Louise was looking in between us, her face pale and eyes wide.

"Just spit it out already! I need to know!" Phil closed his eyes before mumbling out the answer, low enough that neither Louise or I could hear it but I knew what he said because I knew the answer. "What?"

"Jay's pregnant. They think it's her father child, but there's about three others who could possibly be the father." Louise was silent.

"How?! I thought you told be she was infertile! Actually you did tell me that!" She was frantic, waving her arms around in desperation.

"We thought she was too, everyone did but when we were at the hospital they did some tests and they found out she's intersex and it's overridden the gene that caused infertility."

"How long?"

"Two months, roughly, we honestly don't know. They pinned the due date in like March next year or something, I don't know I wasn't really listening." Louise leaned over and hugged me, pushing my head into her shoulder and I let her, knowing it was her way of expressing her emotions.

"Do you know if the baby's healthy? If it's her fathers child there could be complications..." I shook my head.

"We haven't had any scans yet, I doubt they'd be able to tell anything anyway. How many months can you tell the gender of the baby?" Louise thought for a couple of seconds, having had children herself.

"Somewhere around 3 and half months, I'm not sure but I would recommend her getting a scan soon just to double check." I nodded, pulling myself out of Louise's grip so we could head back to Jay.

"Come on, I don't want to leave Jay alone for too long."

Jay was still on the couch, the puppy bounding around on the living room floor with a ball in its mouth, I had no idea where the ball had come from but it was whatever as long as it wasn't chewing on something valuable. Jay was humming, throwing whatever it was around for the puppy whenever it bought it back to her.

Louise whistled for the dog, who ran over to her feet.

"Who's a good girl, yes, yes you are!" She scratched the dogs stomach, making kissy faces at her for good measure. I jumped as I heard Phil's phone ring and he pulled it out of his pocket.

"It's Officer Briny?" He left the room and I followed him out, leaving Louise, the dog and Jay.

"Hello? Officer Briny?"

"Hey guys, sorry for the random call but I got a message from the police this afternoon, as well as the hospital." I gulped.

"Is it the trial date?"

"Yes, it's Monday next week." That was Friday, making the trial only 4 days away and I froze.

"Oh bloody hell, I don't think Jay's gonna be ready for it, she's not doing too well." I had seen her behaviour, the way she would stare at nothing or bite her nails, the way she would distance herself from everyone else. There was no way in hell she would be able to cope with the trial.

"I know but we can't reschedule it or anything, apparently the date has been set for a couple of weeks, it's just no one has been notified until now." I groaned, leaning against Phil's shoulder. Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse.

"What did the hospital say?" Phil's voice was even more worried than it was before, hoping that it wasn't more bad news.

"They want her to come back in for some scans at some time this week just to check everything but we'll have to get our own transport to and from the hospital." I sighed, that would be okay.

"Yeah anytime would suit for that, nothing's happening here other than filming some more videos case we haven't done anything in over a month now I think." I could hear Officer Briny talking to someone else in the background, another officer I assumed since he was probably at work.

"Awesome I'll tell them and then sort out a time, but I'll come and see Jay again at some point as well, just to say hi. Mrs Harrow also wants to come and say hi, just check up on her."

"That's all fine, but what about school? She's been off for almost two months but do you think she'd be okay with going back, even for half a day?" I heard an intake of breath.

"Honestly I don't know, it depends on her and whether she wants to go back."

"I don't doubt she'll want to go back, being stuck inside for two months, but I don't know how she'll cope with crowds." Phil was being incredibly sarcastic, but we honestly didn't know, not having any indication of what she wanted.

"Test it, maybe not this week or even next week, wait until after the trial and see if she's okay with a half day."

"I mean I guess...?"