Chapter 69 ;)

Jay's P.O.V.

While I had been getting my bandages changed the nurses had got me to drink some water and for the first time my throat was clear and I could speak. They took a photo of the wound on my neck to show it to me, 18 stitches in black thread standing out clearing against my pale skin.

Apparently it was healing well and although it would leave quite a big scar it was showing no signs of infection and would only need a small bandage. They had also checked over the rest of my body, none of my ribs had been broken, just bruised, and the bruises were very sore and apparently warranted a check over.

When they moved down to my leg I actually refused to look, closing my eyes as they changed the bandages, hissing in pain as I felt the dried blood being peeled off my skin and the fact that the end of my leg was much shorter than it normally was.

"Do you want to see it? We've put clean bandages on now, so it's not gruesome or anything." After a couple of seconds I nodded, knowing it would be better to get it over with earlier rather than later.

"Okay, we're just going to sit you up for a bit but if you feel sick tell us, because you haven't been sitting up recently." I nodded again, realising how much easier it was to move my head after the bandages had been taken off.

Someone pressed a button on the side of my bed and the part behind my head and back started to fold up, pushing me into a sitting position. I saw flashes of white in my vision and I groaned, making the bed freeze while I adjusted to partly sitting up. It took a couple of minutes before I was okay to continue sitting up further but in roughly 5 minutes I was completely sitting up.

I was still a little bit dizzy, white spots occasionally dancing in front of my vision but I could stand it and I started to prepare myself to start looking at my leg. I took in a few deep breaths before I slowly allowed my eyes to travel down the bed to where my leg was.

The bandages sort of numbed the horror for me and I flinched, looking at the stump that used to be my leg and then covered my mouth, shock setting in at once. I leaned my head back against the bed so my eyes were looking up at the ceiling and just sat there, frozen.

"Jay?" The word made its way into my brain but I didn't respond to it, already fading out for what felt like the third time that. My eyes were closing and I started to panic, it wasn't like sleeping or anything, it was like something was forcing my eyes down, something dragging my mind into the void of sleep.

"She's going into shock, come on Jay, don't do this now." I felt a hand on my shoulder and I started to try and fight it, forcing my eyes open and trying to stop the darkness taking over my brain and after a couple of minutes, I could feel everything starting to brighten again, before it faded in seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jay? Come on, I know you can hear me." I squinted, forcing my eyes open. I could just make out the outline of someone's face above me and I coughed, surprising myself because it didn't completely tear my throat apart.

"Too bri- bright..." I coughed again but the lights dimmed almost immediately and I sighed in relief, bringing my hand down from across my face.

"Can you hear me sweetheart?" I nodded, noticing that there was almost no pain in my neck anymore.

"She's responsive." I felt a hand glance over my forehead and my eyes closed again, mostly just wanting to sleep.

"No, come on Jay, you've got to stay awake sweetheart, then you can go back with the others." I sighed, opening them if only for the sake of going back to where Dan and Phil were. I wanted comfort, I wanted to be held and just think.

I held my eyes open and glanced around the room. I was lying down again, my head resting on a pillow and the blankets had been pulled up to my chest where I pulled them up a little further for warmth.

"Do you want to go back?" I nodded.

"Yeah."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My eyes followed the tiles on the ceiling as the bed was wheeled around the halls, listening to the two nurses chattering behind me as they pushed the bed. My mind still kept clicking back to when I first saw my leg as it was, chopped off. I knew that I was still partly in shock, my mind was clicking on and off, different scenes of what had happened flashing to the front of my mind.

I heard the sound of curtains being pulled back and then my bed was pushed back into the curtained room. I could see Dan, Phil and Officer Briny in similar positions to where they had been sitting last night and I opened my mouth to speak.

"Hi." Phil's eyes widened.

"Hey, you can talk now!" I nodded, turning my head towards them as the bed was fixed into place.

"Yeah, still sore but it's better than it was before." I coughed again, raising my arms over my eyes and letting them rest there, blocking out the light.

"You okay Jay?" I mumbled something, even I didn't know what I was saying.

I felt a hand squeeze mine and I attempted to roll over, doing it without too much of a struggle, shuddering when I felt the stump of my leg landing on top of my other one. I was lying on my left side, so I was facing Dan and Phil and I rested my head on my arm, my nose in my elbow.

Dan reached his arm forwards and ran his fingers through my hair and I saw Phil reach down into his bag and bring out a book. I felt my eyes light up when I saw the book was the second Harry Potter book, my book mark still sticking up in between the pages.

"Do you want me to read it to you?" I nodded, allowing Dan to continue running his fingers through my hair.

He opened the book to the page that I had last been reading and starting reading the words, the writing blocking out everything I had been thinking.

"Chapter eight, the deathday party. October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey, the matron, was kept busy..."