Chapter 74

Dan's P.O.V.

I heard a commotion upstairs and the sound of rushing footsteps, my eyes meeting Phil's. I frowned, heading for the stairs and I froze when I heard the sound of retching from the upstairs bathroom, the door still open.

My legs carried me as fast as I could up the stairs, skidding to a stop outside the bathroom door. The light was on and as I pushed the door open I saw Jay kneeling over the toilet, Anais supporting her from behind, her arms underneath Jay's so she wasn't kneeling on her leg.

I watched Jay retch once more before she fell back against Anais and I saw her eyes close, an involuntary whimper escaping from her mouth.

"Oh jesus Christ Jay, come here." I leaned down and picked her up from Anais, allowing her to stand up worriedly. I used one hand to support her and then rested the other across her back, her head lying on my shoulder and her arms wrapped around my neck. Normally I didn't let anyone touch my neck, but that was an exception.

I felt Jay's chest heave and I knew she was crying so I carefully started to rock her from side to side, making sure not to move too roughly.

Anais was standing awkwardly beside the toilet, she eyes wide and completely lost, clearly unsure what to do.

"You can go home if you want Anais, I think we can handle her for a bit." She hesitated but nodded, disappearing for a couple of seconds and returning with her backpack slung over her shoulder.

"Bye, bye Jay." Jay shifted a little bit, turning her head on my shoulder so she could see Anais and waving goodbye, before relaxing her head again.

Anais clattered down the stairs and I turned to Phil, who was standing just beside the bathroom door, Officer Briny with him. Looking into the mirror I could see Jay's face and her eyes were closed, one hand supporting her head and the other pressed in between her body and my chest.

"Do you think it was just stress? Or is she actually sick?" Officer Briny shook his head.

"There isn't any way to tell, she might just be stressed or she might be sick, after all she's just spent two months in a completely sterile environment and I have no idea what that does to your body." I nodded, it made sense to me.

"I'm just gonna get her to bed, see you downstairs in a bit okay." Phil nodded but followed me down the hallway as I took Jay to her room, biting on his fingernails a little bit.

I settled Jay down on her bed, Phil pulling the covers back for me so I could put her down more easily. She shifted around a little bit, moving one of the pillows down so she could rest her arm on it and then rolled over again, her eyes opening. She did look exhausted, her eyes hardly able to stay open.

"You okay?" I sat down on the bed beside her, feeling her shuffle closer and curling her leg around behind me. I noticed that she was holding her arms in front of her stomach, her hands one on top of the other.

"Sore stomach." I moved her hands, massaging it gently and she sighed, curling into a little ball over the top of my hand. Her nose was resting right next to my arm and I could feel it poking me, making me laugh.

"I can't do anything if you're like that Jay." She didn't move, pushing her nose into my arm. I sat back further on the bed, lifting Jay's head onto my lap and pushed her body out so I could massage her stomach a little bit better. Phil moved around to the other side of the bed, lying down with his head on a pillow and one of his legs kicking me in the side.

I massaged Jay's stomach for a little while longer until I noticed her starting to drop off, her eyes flickering against my arm. I smiled, scrapping her hair out of her eyes, which was getting quite long after a few months without a haircut, and then I gently kissed her forehead, motioning for Phil to follow me.

I shut off the light to her room and closed the door, Phil grabbing my hand as I did so. Even though it was only 5 o'clock, roughly, I hadn't looked at a clock in a little while but everyone just wanted to go to bed, even though we still had to talk to the nurses and everything for a little while longer.

"Is Jay okay?"

"Yeah, I think it might be a one time thing, I think her stomach's a little swollen and she said it was sore, but I don't know." Officer Briny nodded.

"Probably just a one time thing." He sounded a little unsure but nodded to the nurses anyway.

"We'll clear off now, give you guys a little bit of peace for a while. I'll come back tomorrow and I think Mrs Harrow will too, just visit and say hi." I nodded. Mrs Harrow had come around a couple of times while Jay had been in hospital but we honestly hadn't seen much of her, although she had said she was very busy with some other kids.

As soon as everyone had left Phil and I collapsed onto the couch, tangled together and partly on top of each other, just basking in each other's warmth. It had been a while since we had just laid together in silence, just hugging and being together because of all the time we had spent in hospital.

"I missed this. I missed you." Phil's voice was muffled by my sweater and I answered by squeezing him tighter, burying my head in his hair.

"I missed you too, I'm just glad Jay's home." Phil sighed.

"Me too, I just really hope it's going to get better from here. Jay's been through so much, and so have we but I'm still hoping." I smiling, my forehead touching his and my arms wrapped around his neck.

"Knowing us something's gonna happ-"

"Dan! Don't jinx it!" I rolled my eyes, laughing.

"Too late now, so anything that happens from now on is my fault."