Chapter 54

Dan's P.O.V.

I was curled up on the couch next to Phil, my hands clutched around a warm mug of hot chocolate. We hadn't done much all day, just sat on the couch and cuddled as the noise of the television washed over us. It was the first day without Jay, unless you counted the day she spent with Jack and Mark, since we had first adopted her.

A knock on the door startled us but didn't surprise us, Jay had been due home and I yawned, standing up to answer it. Phil was almost asleep, his mug slipping from his hands so I pulled it out and sat it on the arm of the couch, grinning as I heard the doorbell ring, once, twice and then a third time.

I made my way to the door, opening it just as the bell rang for the fourth time. Officer Briny was standing on the doorstep, Jay with her finger on the doorbell.

"Hey you, how was school?" I opened the door wider so both could come inside and then lead them both back into the living room, where Phil was now wide awake thanks to the doorbell.

"Hey Jay, how was school?" She snorted.

"Dan just asked that, and it was good. I met a lot of new people. I hung out with them at lunch." I looked over at Phil, smiling. I had hoped she would settle down fast but that was better than either of us could have wanted.

"You just had dance today didn't you?" A nod.

"Yeah, I've got both art and history tomorrow. I know a few people in both classes which is good."

"Oh good, it's nice to know you know some people." She fell onto the couch beside Phil, taking up the spot I had been in before. She grinned at me, leaning into his side and lifting his arm so it was resting on her shoulder.

"Oh come on, I was sitting there!" She smirked, moving closer to Phil. Officer Briny smiled.

"Alright, it seems like you've got everything sorted and I'll see you tomorrow, about 8 o'clock okay."

"Bye Briny! See you tomorrow." Jay's voice was muffled by Phil's sweater, her eyes just appearing over the top of his arm.

I followed Officer Briny to the door and as soon as the door shut behind him and I headed back to the living room, falling back onto the couch and almost on top of Jay. She giggled, bringing her hand up to try and push me away, then falling back and attempting to disappear underneath Phil.

"Dan! No, you're squishing me!" She was still laughing, using Phil as protection. Phil was laughing too, doing his best to keep her away from me, clearly on her side.

"Phil! You're ment to be helping me here!" He shook his head.

"No way! I'm on Jay's side here." There was more giggling from both of them and I sighed.

"Well I guess I have no choice other than too... tickle you!" My fingers ran over Jay's ribs and she squealed, moving underneath Phil to get away. I then moved onto Phil, who actually tried to stand up but Jay pulled him back down.

"No you're here to protect me!" Phil shrieked even louder and tried again, grinning.

"Stop! Dan have mercy!" I sighed, sarcastically contemplating.

"Should I? Maybe? Fine...."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay was asleep, her head resting soundly on my shoulder and hands curled around her toy dog, legs pulled up beside her. Phil was on the other side of her, our hands intertwined over the top of the sofa and my fingers trailing over his finger nails, smiling when he ran his hands over mine.

"You tired Dan?" I nodded, bringing my free hand up to my eyes and rubbing them.

"Yeah, I think I might head to bed soon." It was only half past 7 but I was exhausted, even though I hadn't done anything.

"Should I try and get Jay into bed?" I looked down at her, smiling at the way her hands were resting.

"Probably, she's got school tomorrow and this probably isn't the best place to sleep." Phil stood up as carefully, making sure not to knock her and then picked her up as carefully as possible. Her head was leaning against his chest and as her hands started to fall, she dropped her toy dog.

I stood up and picked it up, following Phil upstairs as he lay Jay down on her bed. She did move except her hands scrambled around for something to grab, which was when I gave her her toy back and pushed it into her hands.

I smiled over at Phil and he gave me a gentle one armed hug and then pulled me from the room, planting a kiss on my lips. I made my way back to Phil's room, followed by Phil and then collapsed onto the bed.

Phil fell on top of me, nuzzling into my neck. I groaned, pulling away and covering my neck with my hands.

"Don't Phil."

"K, sorry Dan." He pulled away and then curled in beside me, pulling my sweatshirt off so I didn't have to move.

He then did the same to my jeans, pulling them off and then doing the same to himself. I pulled the blankets over the both of us and dragged Phil closer, resting my head on my chest and listening to his breathing.

"Night Dan, love you." I mumbled the last two words back in reply, feeling his quiet laughs as his chest rose and fell.

"Night you spork."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of an alarm woke me and I groaned, rolling over to check the time. My phone was displaying the alarm screen and I sighed in disgust at the time, which read 6:30am.

"Phil? Phil wake up, we have to get Jay up." He groaned, his eyes cracking open and squinting in my direction.

"Give me a sec." I turned towards the door and then stood up, making my way into Jay's bedroom, which was dark and the lump in her bed was moving up and down slowly.

I flicked the light on and I heard Jay groan, rolling over and glaring at me, disgruntled.

"Come on you, you've got to get up for school now." I heard her sigh and then her head appeared above the blankets.

"Just when I got used to sleeping in."