Chapter 88

Jay's P.O.V.

"Anais! Over here!" I waved my hands frantically, trying to catch her attention from across the field. I was sitting with Alexa, Carmen, Riley, Eli, Dallas and Ace, our backpacks strewn around beside us and smiles plastered on our faces. It was nice to forget what had happened, be it just for a little while.

Anais waved back, almost knocking the friend she was standing beside in the face before saying something to her and rushing over to me. I hadn't seen her much since I had got back to school, spending most of my time in Mrs Livingstone's classroom and out of the way of the crowds.

I moved around the school while everyone else was in class because I didn't want to be shoved around. I was a lot slower at walking than most other people, and I knew some people would attempt to push past me if I was in their way if I was out in crowds.

"Hey Jay!" Anais leaned down and hugged me, not forcing me to stand up. She still didn't know about my pregnancy, just that I was a little bit sick and I didn't know how to tell her as it would be a huge shock. "How are you?"

"I'm good, I've got dance today which'll be fun." She nodded, sitting down in the circle with the rest of us and nodding to everyone else, who she knew only by name and seeing them around.

We all turned our heads when the bell rung and everyone stood up except me, starting to head to their first classes. I was with Mrs Livingstone for the first three periods of the day so I was in no rush to go anywhere, waiting for most people to leave before I headed off.

"Bye Jay! See you fourth!" I waved at Carmen, watching as she headed for her P.E. class. She was very active, being in two different P.E. classes plus dance and I thought it was ridiculous because I could never do that.

It took about 10 minutes for everything to clear, well after the second bell had rung, and I took my bag and crutches, heading to my classroom. Mrs Livingstone was sitting at her desk, paper strewn about and a few of my books piled onto the chair beside her, a computer showing Skype open.

"Alright, let's get down to business!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello? I'm home!?" I dumped my bag in the corner when I opened the front door, waving goodbye to Officer Briny who was sitting in his patrol car waiting for me to go inside.

I clattered down the hallway, my crutches clicking with every step and I made my way to the living room where I saw Dan and Phil curled up on the couch, Dan with his eyes closed a one hand resting on Phil's chest. The television was on and Phil was looking at it with bleary eyes, almost asleep.

He looked up when I walked in, his arm protectively around Dan's side and legs tangled together. He smiled, giving me a little salute with his free arm as to not wake Dan before gently adjusting his position into something a little more comfortable.

"How was school?" He kept his voice low, making sure that Dan would continue sleeping.

"Good, spent most of the day with Mrs Livingstone and a lot of time reading." I had finished the Harry Potter series and was starting over again, loving it so much that I had to read it again. Phil nodded.

"Sounds fun, Dan's literally been asleep on me basically all day and I don't know whether to wake him up or not." I laughed, looking down at Dan who was breathing slowly with his hand now over his face and curled into a loose fist.

"I'm going upstairs, call me down later?" He nodded and I turned with my crutches, going to grab my bag and then disappearing up the stairs and into my room. My computer was in the bag and I wanted to talk to Carmen and Alexa through Skype, giving me something to do for the rest of the afternoon.

Mrs Livingstone and the other teachers I had didn't give me any homework, other than Mrs Livingstone saying that I should practise my reading which I did gladly. It was nice to know that I was getting better at reading, slowly but surely I was seeing improvement in the way I was reading.

The first thing I noticed was a message from Anais.

Hey, can I come over quickly? Just want to say hi. I replied back yes before hopping down the stairs, not bothering with my crutches so I could tell Phil. By the time I got downstairs I saw that Dan was awake, blearily glaring around the room as he lay practically on top of Phil.

"Hey guys, Anais is coming over for like half an hour or so, just to say hi." Phil nodded, just trying to get Dan to wake up a little more.

"Sure, there's a bag of cookies in the cupboard if you want some." I nodded, plonking myself down on the couch and waiting for the doorbell that would surely come in less than a few minutes. It took even less than that, the doorbell ringing in less that a minute.

I clattered and hopped to the to the door, opening it and found myself at once being wrapped into a huge hug. Anais dropped her bag inside the door when she pulled back and she took my hand, helping me as I hopped to the kitchen where we found a bag of chips and the cookies that Phil was talking about.

"We going to your room?" I nodded.

"Yeah, can you help a bit?" She smiled, taking the chips and cookies from my hands and taking them in her teeth before taking my hands and helping me up the stairs. I was wearing my prosthetic but it didn't help that I was mostly useless at using it properly without my crutches.

"Hold up- stay there for a sec." She adjusted the cookies before wrapping her arms around me and picking me up bridle style, my head resting in her shoulder like Dan or Phil used to do when I was tired.

I just settled myself against her shoulder, being that much smaller than her, and waited as she carried me down the hallway, up the stairs and then into my room where she dropped me carefully onto the bed. For a couple of minutes I settled down by taking my prosthetic off, as it was getting uncomfortable.

"Did you just want to say hi? That was a little sudden." I was laughing a little, watching as Anais opened the cookies and handed me a couple as they were only bite-sized.

"Um- yeah, you could say that." She was almost stuttering, rubbing one of her arms a little nervously.

I tilted my head to the side, looking at her curiously. I didn't know why she was nervous, because that was what I was picking up from her and I was confused.

"Why're you nervous?" She averted her eyes before attempting to speak- opening and closing her mouth before finally speaking.

"I think I might like you."