Chapter 65

Phil's P.O.V.

"Hey guys, so if you can't tell, we're sitting in hospital right now. I know we haven't been active on well, anything over the past few days, but that's because something really bad happened." Dan squeezed my hand out of view of the camera and glanced over at Jay's bed, where her condition hadn't changed since we'd arrived.

"Jay went missing, she was kidnapped from her school on Wednesday morning, just after the bell rung and was missing until early this morning, when she was found at a house just after dawn and brought to hospital. Some of you might already know this because of the alert that was sent out with her picture." I turned the camera to Jay, the four days missing all appearing on her face and arms, along with the bandages. Now it was Saturday, those four days seemed to have passed in a flash.

"She's been beat up a bit, her neck was nearly slit and she's on a ventilator at the moment to help her breathe. There's more injuries... but we can't really talk about them. You can probably see one of them." Dan took in a deep breath and leaned in on my shoulder, gathering up the strength to talk. I waited, knowing he would eventually get the courage, even if it took a few minutes.

"Her father was the one that took her, he was released from jail early and he came back to London to try and find her and it worked. We aren't sure of most of the details yet, but we will do an update video eventually, once Jay's out of hospital and not so badly injured." I nodded, agreeing with what Dan was saying.

"We don't know what will happen next, anything could really but we'll be absent from social media for a little while so don't mind it. We'll try and give you guys some updates, but it could go anyway..." Dan looked around at me, unsure of what to say next.

"Later guys." I ended the video quickly and then looked at the time on the video. Just over two minutes long, which Twitter would allow and I sighed in relief, knowing I wouldn't have to cut it down.

I quickly uploaded it to Twitter and then captioned it with 'Sorry for being away for so long, just give us a bit of time okay. We'll try and be back soon.'

Dan nodded when he saw the caption, leaning his head on my shoulder and sighing. I put my phone down the second I posted it, turning it off so I couldn't read the replies and then get upset all over again.

I was afraid to say that once Dan was asleep that I had cried, trying to get everything out and not upset Dan. I knew that he was feeling the same way but I didn't like to cry in front of him, knowing it would just make him cry too, and I always felt really bad when he did cry.

I ran one hand through his hair and smiled when I felt Dan nuzzle his nose into my neck, his chin resting on my shoulder and his hands intertwined in mine. His eyes were still resting on Jay, whose condition hadn't changed, and I felt his body start to crumble into sadness.

"I know Dan, we just have to give her time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you see that?" I looked around at Officer Briny, who was staring right at Jay with wide eyes.

"No?" I glanced over at Jay too, seeing Dan already staring at her.

"I swear her finger twitc... look she did it again!" This time I had seen it, her pinky finger had rose and fell twice in a row, twitching.

"I saw it! Is she waking up?" Officer Briny shrugged.

"I don't know, but I'll go and get the nurse to check." He disappeared out behind the curtain for just under a minute before reappearing with a nurse, who came right to Jay's bedside. She ran her hand gently along Jay's arm, watching for any reaction and to my surprise, her entire arm jolted and the nurse smiled.

"She's waking up, the medicine is starting to wear off now and her body is responding. She should be awake in the next couple of hours, so call one of the nurses when she's really awake so we can do a check over." Dan nodded, glancing back over at Jay again.

"Can she hear us?" The nurse looked over Jay critically, checking the I.V.'s.

"Probably, it may not make much sense to her but if she can recognise your voice then it'll be a reassurance for her." Dan inclined his head and then pulled his chair closer to Jay's bed, running his hand through her hair. I followed in suit, moving closer to her bed and hugging Dan from behind, listening as he whispered little messages to Jay, even though I couldn't hear most of what he said.

Officer Briny was standing in the doorway, watching outside the curtain and occasionally back at us, trying to give us a little bit of privacy even though it wasn't really possible. I glanced up at the monitor screens behind Jay, seeing the one monitor that showed her heartbeat, pulse and the amount of oxygen in her blood.

Officer Briny had explained what the machines did to Dan and I in the hours following our arrival to the hospital and once I knew what they meant, I could pick up the changes in Jay's heartbeat and pulse. In the next couple of hours I noticed that whenever either Dan or I was speaking to her, her heartbeat slowed down, as if she was relaxing. I pointed it out to Dan, who smiled.

"See. She can hear us." Officer Briny caught our attention by waving, handing over a tray of food to us.

"You need to eat. The nurses offered some food a while ago and I know you're hungry, so eat." Dan picked at it, BLT sandwiches, but after a while I did manage to get him to eat it, still keeping an eye on Jay in between bites.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was nearing five o'clock when we saw more signs of Jay stirring again. She had remained scarily still for hours, not responding and seemingly going blank, not seeming to hear us anymore and her fingers ceased twitching. It had scared the both of us, Dan and I, but the nurse had reassured us that it was just the medicine taking her back under.

I saw Jay's fingers starting to twitch and then saw her non amputated leg start to move, sliding around underneath the bedsheets to readjust its position. Dan saw it too and moved closer, running his hand over hers, hoping that she would feel it and know that we were there, and it would be okay.

Underneath her eyelids I saw her eyes start to move, flickering every few seconds and then I heard a tiny sigh, Jay's mouth open and her head tilted to the side. Dan eyes made their way over to me, surprise and happiness filling them and hope filling my own, really truly hoping that everything would be okay.

I scooted my chair around to the other side of the bed and clutched at Jay's other hand, watching as she started to move a little more, her arms twitching and her head moving from side to side, finally settling down looking to the left, at Dan.

Her eyes were still flickering underneath her eyelids and finally, hours after she first started to stir, they opened.