Breakfast (Part One)

"Good Morning Ray."

"Good Morning Celeste. You're here a little earlier than usual."

"I had to get some work done in preparation for the upcoming recital."

"Well I'll put on a fresh pot of coffee for you."

I thanked Ray and headed to my reception desk. It would probably be a while before Prince came downstairs and I wanted to have these recital programs set and ready for his approval.

As soon as I sat down and turned on the computer, the gate buzzer made me jump. The Security guard at the gate hasn't even got here yet and all I could do was sigh because some of these Prince fans and wanna be musicians were just a bit much. It's too damn early for foolishness and I was not in the mood to take demos or fan mail.

"Welcome to Paisley Park." I nonchalantly said. "How may I help you?"

"Good Morning Miss Celeste, it's Ms. Devareaux. Could you buzz me in?"

"Of course sweetie."

I pressed the buzzer to let her in and walked to the door to unlock it. I can't believe Prince has this child driving over here in these semi icy conditions. The way he is about her, it seemed as if he would've sent a driver to pick her up, but it's no telling where his mind is as it concerns her so all I could do was shake my head.  As I saw her Range Rover pull up, I could only smile when I saw her emerge from the vehicle wearing another fur. It tickled me because I can only imagine the conversation that will eventually ensue between her and Prince once he gets on her about her little animal habit.

As she approached the door, I opened it for her and immediately locked it backed.

"Until security gets here, I don't take any chances." I told her she watched me locking the door.

"I totally understand. How are you doing this morning Ms. Celeste?"

"I'm good and you?"

"Good."

"Now I hope you aren't here to surprise Prince because if you are, I want no parts of it. So you can just come on over here and help me fold these programs because it's too early for me to be risking my job." I told her as I walked back to the reception desk and got situated.

"I don't mind helping you while we talk because I didn't come here to see Prince, I came here to see you."

Her tone caught me off guard. It was non-threatening but inquisitive. I immediately looked at her to only see an unreadable expression on her face.

"You came to see me?"

She took off her coat, placed it in one of the chairs in the waiting area and approached my desk.  Taking a few programs she began folding them before she spoke.

"Yes ma'am. I heard that you had questions about my mother?"

I damn near shitted on myself. This girl was better than Prince with catching me off guard, and the look on my face must have shown it because she looked at me and then kindly spoke.

"Ms. Celeste, I'm not mad but if you want to know something about me or my family, you should ask me about it."

I took a deep breath because not only was she sincere, but she was also right. That damn Prince got me out here looking like I was up to no good. I didn't even know if he had come clean with her about his age yet, so I was nervous to mention her great-grandmother or the real reason I asked about her mother, in fear that she would then think that Prince and I had been talking about her. If it was anytime he needed to stroll his short ass down the stairs, now would the time.