1.2

Exactly twenty-nine minutes later, I'm dropped off in front of a huge gate leading to a lavish garden - and a giant mansion. Well, I wondered who could afford to pay five grand a month, all expenses included, for a living blood bank. So it's really ‚Leandro' as in ‚L-ectronics'. Not that I care. With that amount of money, I won't have to worry about my mother anymore. She can take all the time she needs to recover from her injury.

The door opens in front of me, accompanied by a quiet buzzing as the technology works to move the heavy iron. It takes another two minutes for me to reach the mansion, so I'm technically late. Maybe that's not such a good thing, but it couldn't be helped. I'm greeted by a servant, a petite girl who smiles prettily, and then led to a waiting room where I sit down on a couch.

Small, yellow birds are flying around in a big enclosure, chirping lively. In every corner of the room, giant plants are growing. On the table in front of me, there's a bouquet of red and orange tulips. The girl comes back, handing me a glass of water.

"The master will have time to meet with you soon. Please make yourself comfortable until then," she says with a friendly smile, then hurries away again, obviously busy. Thus, I do what she asked me to, leaning back against the comfortable couch, sipping the cold water. I never thought water could taste this good. It's probably from some ancient Chinese mountain or something like that.

Half an hour later, the girl comes back, carrying a glass pitcher full of water. She refills my glass without a word, puts the pitcher down on the table and leaves again. Sighing, I close my eyes. If I drink too much, I'll have to pee before I get to talk to the guy - who made me come here in a hurry just so I can spend an eternity waiting. Well, it's not that I'm eager to meet him, but since I want to work for the agency and he's willing to pay gold, I have to.

I open my eyes slightly to watch the birds scurry around, tiny wings flapping eagerly. Maybe I'll paint them when I get home. Yellow dots dancing inside a cage. Even though they're in such a hurry, watching them makes me feel calm. I guess that's why people like to have animals in their homes.

After almost two hours, another servant enters, this time a young man, though just as petite.

"Please follow me."

"Can I go to the toilet first?" I ask, pretty sure talking to Mr Leandro won't be comfortable like this. The servant nods and leads me to a bathroom. Well, calling this a room is an understatement. ‚Room' is too small a word. I don't get why a bathroom has to be this spacious. Well, otherwise, the three giant palm trees standing in the middle of it wouldn't fit inside, I guess.

After relieving myself quickly, I return to the servant, who's glancing at his watch nervously.

"Now, please follow me. The master is waiting," he informs we, his expression tense as he starts walking down the corridor with big steps. It's easy for me to follow him since my legs are way longer than his. It's kind of cute, seeing him so concerned because we're two minutes behind schedule. Maybe I shouldn't think like that about the staff. Well, who cares. It's not like I'm seriously considering having sex with him.

"He's inside," the servant informs me, stopping in front of a double door made of red wood. "Please enter."

Taking a deep breath, I push open one of the doors and slip inside. Mr Leandro is sitting behind his desk, one arm propped up on the dark wood, his chin resting in the palm of his hand. He's examining me closely, and he's gorgeous. I knew vampires we're rumored to be breathtakingly beautiful, but there's more to him than simple beauty. I want to paint him.

"Come closer," he instructs me calmly, his expression unreadable. He could like me or hate me, I wouldn't know. It makes me nervous. Usually, people aren't that good at hiding their emotions. Then again, he's not human. A shiver runs down my spine. It's one thing to know they're living amongst us, but another to stand in front of one of them. It's like I'm red riding hood and he's the big, bad wolf. The feral part of me wants to run away and hide.