12.2

Mom isn't happy about my moving in with Dael, and she's made sure to emphasize that this back and forth is no sign of a healthy relationship. I agreed, promising her that things would be different - now that we have cleared some misunderstandings. She gave in after that, probably only because she's aware there's no ordering me around.

Dael's made his own phone call, and as a result, a well-dressed waiter is now putting a bowl of fruit salad in front of me, smiling politely. He bows briefly, hands clasped behind his back, before he retreats to the kitchen area where a chef is busy roasting beef. Mildly put, this is very awkward, but I believe it's Dael's way of doting on me.

"Yes, it is." Grinning, he leans back in his chair. I sigh heavily, barely able to resist the urge to shake my head at him. As far as I know, vampires usually don't listen in on their human partner's thoughts, so I can't believe that this is happening accidentally.

Dael groans, rolling his eyes at me.

"Come on, it was in the heat of the moment. Besides, I think I compensated you well enough."

I choke on the pieces of apple and banana that I have been about to swallow, then glare at him as I cough. My demise doesn't affect his amusement at all, though. Fuming silently, I focus on not dying while eating. Dael leans forward to rest his elbows on the table, leisurely crossing his fingers so he can rest his chin on them.

Who would've thought; I'm feeling watched.

His eyes don't stray once throughout the meal, never leaving my face. I don't complain though. After all, he looks excitedly happy. His smirk is still rather smug, but there's a playfulness to it that I enjoy. His eyes are wrinkled at the corners.

"You're lucky I'm feeling so loved today," I grumble as I stuff the last of my chocolate cake into my mouth. A small laugh escapes his throat, stretching his grin far enough for his fangs to show. It adds a dangerous edge to his beauty, sharper and more obvious than the predatory red of his eyes. Dael hums his agreement before I can even finish that train of thoughts.

"Should I keep my clothes on or take them off?"

"Off," I reply immediately, already imagining the first lines seeping into the canvas. He smirks, probably because of my eagerness. I clear my throat before continuing, "But only after you're out of my head again."

"Allorian," he purrs in that particular way that has me swooning like a fifteen year old girl over her star crush. I grit my teeth, hardening myself against his sweet talking. Dael laughs almost inaudibly, then gets up to walk around the table. Here we go; a prime example of predatory Dael.

He crouches down in front of me, dropping to one knee before taking hold of my hand. My eyes widen as my heartbeat goes crazy. Now, I know he's not going to propose to me, but-

"Am I?" he disrupts my thoughts. Suddenly, I'm very much aware of the waiter and chef bustling in our kitchen. I'm also sensitive to his breath hittimg my skin as he lowers his lips to the back of my hand.

"I love you."

Oh, you asshole.

I avert my eyes, feeling myself blush. At the same time, the most wonderful feeling unfurls inside of me. A warmth that comes from the frantic beating of my heart, only to travel outwards and hug me like a warm embrace on a cold night.

"You're an idiot," I mutter, certain that he well intended for me to get all worked up like this. He's only saying this because he wants to know what I'm feeling when I paint him.

Dael smiles against my skin. He trails kisses along my ring finger until he reaches the tip. There he stops, slowly raising his eyes until he catches my gaze. His tongue pushes out, and I just stare.