10.4

"Oh, Dael called, so I thought I'd answer," he chirps innocently while looking absolutely everything but innocent. There's that dangerous spark in his eyes, the same one that surfaces whenever he lays eyes on someone he wants to fuck.

"You're kidding, right?" I chuckle humourlessly and glance at my phone. Since Keith doesn't answer and just keeps on grinning cheekily, I pick it up quickly and look who the last caller had been. Dael. Cursing loudly, I narrow my eyes at Keith accusingly. "What did you talk about?"

"No~thing," Keith laughs, stretching the word suspiciously.

"Keith. Tell me right now or I'll throw you out," I threaten sharply, causing him to burst out laughing.

"Don't look so mean. I just told him that you're taking care of some business on the toilet," he chuckles. His lips are tight at the corners, meaning he's barely able to contain his amusement. I've got the feeling that, while he used the exact phrasing, he'd said it with a different kind of voice.

"And that's all?"

"Well, he asked what I was doing here so I told him I'm comforting you with some beer since you've been so sick and lonely these last few days," he admits thoughtfully as if trying hard to remember the conversation. He scratches his chin.

"I'm going to call him," I groan, already pressing the green button next to Dael's name. After it rings the second time, he rejects my call, causing me to stare at the phone dumbfounded.

"What happened?" Keith laughs, tilting his head to the side.

"He hung up on me," I inform him flatly – and more than slightly annoyed. "Seriously, we had just reached that point where everything's fine and now you have to do something stupid like this."

"Well, maybe everything wasn't that fine if he refuses to pick up the phone just because of a little talk with me," Keith muses before emptying his beer. He puts the green bottle onto the ground carefully, then lies down on his stomach.

Dael's still rejecting my calls, so I give up with a groan. I'm going to be in so much trouble – and since it's Keith's fault, he's about to suffer from some serious tickling.

-

It's the middle of the night when my phone rings, slowly pulling me away from my sweet dreams. Grumbling, I pick it up. 4:30. Dael's calling.

For a brief moment, I actually consider if he isn't aware of the fact that it's normal to sleep at this time. Then I remember that I'm talking about Dael and there's no way he is doing any harassing accidentally. Yawning, Keith perks his head up.

"Take that fucking call, I want to sleep," he mumbles, waving his hand in a rough motion to make me go away. I pick up the call why crawling out of the bed.

"It's the middle of the night," I inform Dael grumpily, my voice still dark and husky from sleepiness. Quietly, I leave my room.

"Where are you going?" he asks flatly, causing me to roll my eyes at him – and that keen sense of hearing.

"Keith's sleeping in my room so I'm going into the living room," I sigh heavily, somewhat expecting that he won't like that at all, but too tired to care about it.

"And where are you sleeping?"

"In my room. He's just a good friend, Dael. Please, let's not do this right now," I try, though half-heartedly since I've already given up on that possibility. I drop down on the couch.

"Do what? Talk about you sleeping in the same bed with some other guy?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I mean," I mumble as I roll onto my side and make myself comfortable. My head's resting on a pillow. It's dark, I've been drinking, and I haven't even had an hour of sleep yet.

"Fine, do whatever the hell you want," he grunts disapprovingly. The lie's so obvious. Just as it's so obvious that he's bothered by Keith being around, but it's not like I intend to get rid of my friends because he's jealous. Besides, he won't be able to stay over anymore after I've moved in with Dael.

"Thank you," I yawn while my lids drop shut and stay that way. Grumbling, I nuzzle the pillow.

"Good thing you're happy, since that's always what everything is about," he scoffs before hanging up on me. What the fuck.

All of a sudden, my chest feels heavy – and I'm wide awake. Somehow, he managed to make it sound like I'm the one at fault. Hell, it's not like I'm doing this to make him mad or anything. Scowling, I sit up and turn on the TV.

It's annoying how much I want him to call me again. I hate fighting and even though hanging out with Keith is a completely fine thing to do, I might have sounded a little cold during the call. Due to him calling in the middle of the night, so it's entirely his fault, but still.

Sighing, I pick up my phone and debate calling him. I end up not doing it because I'm certain he's just going to reject my call anyways. Sulking, I stare at the glimmering TV before deciding to write him a message. Now all I have to do is come up with something to write. Sighing heavily, I manage to write an apology.

'Sorry.'

'For what?'

That was a quick answer. Startled, I try to come up with something to apologize for. Well, I already thought about it a lot, so here we go. 'I wasn't nice.' A second later, my phone buzzes, causing me to flinch in surprise. I'm way too freaked out because of such a small-scale fight.

"Yes?" I ask carefully, hoping that my apology has eased his mood.

"Allorian," he says flatly and my breath hitches. There's something wrong with how my body reacts to the mere mention of my name when it's his voice caressing the letters softly. Besides, his voice sounded like he was seriously pissed off. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I don't want you to be angry at me," I admit quietly before my consciousness can catch up with my mouth. Groaning, I rub my eyes. "Sorry, I'm tired."

"You're a self-centred kid. Do me a favour and grow up."

Startled, I stare at the TV, eyes wide. I have absolutely no idea where that came from. He's jealous, I get it, but that's no reason to insult me. With a scowl on my face, I press my lips into a thin line. If he expects me to react to that, he's wrong.

"Oh, so now you're sulking. Very mature," he scoffs – and gets to me.

"What the fuck?" I snap angrily. "Here I am apologizing to you and all you can think of is to insult me? Really, Dael? I know you're jealous, but it's not like we're sleeping naked or anything like that. How about some trust on your part?"

"I don't care if you're wearing your clothes or not. I don't want anyone else sleeping in your bed," he replies matter-of-factly, ignoring almost everything I just said. That's a great way to communicate. Ah, damn it. I don't want to argue with him.

"Dael, there's nothing to worry about, so please drop it," I try again while doing my best to sound reconciling.

"Fine, this is pointless anyway. I've got something to take care of, so see you next week," he says, his voice so cold and distant. My heart stings. Yet again, he hangs up on me without giving me the chance to say good-bye. I toss the phone aside and go back to bed. Keith's awake, though seeing my pleasant expression, he doesn't say anything. Instead, he pulls me into an embrace.